GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Google Earth and Mapsource

Started by HuntFishDive, November 15, 2010, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntFishDive

Is it possible to mark places on Google Earth (placemark) and transfer those to Mapsource?  I ultimately want to get some spots transferred to my GPSMap 76Cx.  I know how to transfer waypoints from Mapsource to Google Earth.  Can I go the other way?  Thank you.

eaparks

Yes, you can, but you'll have to convert the file format to make it usable in Mapsource.  Ex. in Goggle Earth save your file of waypoints as a .kml file.  Use any number of software programs such as GPS Babel (is free and does a good job) to convert the .kml file to either a .gpx or .gdb file so Mapsource can read it.

jbensman

Here is the batch file I use to convert from GE to MapSource

C:\programs\gpsbabel\gpsbabel.exe -p "" -w -t -i kml -f "C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\Temporary Places.kml" -o gdb -F "C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\Untitled1.gdb"

Also remember some of th maps in GE are not lined up properly.  Before you mark or trace something in GE, open mapsource and get the cords for an intersection near the spot, then cut and paste into GE to and see if the pictures are lined up properly.

HuntFishDive

Took a few tries but I got it.  Thanks a million.  Now, I just need to figure out how to get more than 1 of the waypoints to show up at a time in Mapsource.

jbensman

If you use the batch file I provided, it will convert all the waypoints and tracks in the kml file to mapsource

Indrid Cold

Quote from: HuntFishDive on November 15, 2010, 07:57:28 PM
Took a few tries but I got it.  Thanks a million.  Now, I just need to figure out how to get more than 1 of the waypoints to show up at a time in Mapsource.
The apparent secret is that you are missing is that you need to make a folder in goggle earth, then place the waypoints you want to export into it. Then select that folder and export as... This will then export more than one waypoint. MapSource is weak in that it will only open one file at a time, BaseCamp on the other hand will do as many as you have hard disc space.

HuntFishDive

Thanks.  I should be able to figure that out.  This is such a neat thing to be able to do.  I can't wait to actually try it out in the field.