GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

loading maps in a gps 60

Started by Policy Peddler, November 01, 2010, 03:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Policy Peddler

I am sure these are basic questions but i can not find the answers. I read below about the 450, but i see no way of sending more than one map at a time. I have a Map60.
when i try to load maps from base camp, I try to load an additional maps, the originals come off, how do I load to what I have. I am going to Arizona. I want to ad Arizona, New Mexico & Nevada. Every time i load a state the previous map is deleted.
i have a 1 gb card in the gps60. the instructions i read say i should see the gps as a storage unit and the card as a storage unit. I only see one.
I would really appreciate any help you can give me.
I am also looking at purchasing a map 62. I have a "cradle" for my 60 will the same cradle work & permanent electrical plug work?

Also, at some point my gps 60 started opening another window at the top when i move the cursor with the latitude and longitude on it. how do i turn it off?

Boyd

Your unit stores the map files on a memory card and has no internal memory that you can access directly. That's why you only see a window for the card. It also only supports one map file, which is named gmapsupp.img.

You can load multiple maps, but they all must be contained in the same file. I could tell you how to do this with Mapsource, but I don't use Basecamp for managing maps myself unfortunately. Basically, you need to view each map that you want and select a portion of it, then repeat. After selecting all the portions of all the different maps, send them to the GPS as one big file.

I don't think you will find much compatibility between mounts for the 62 and 60 series unless it's just a generic cradle that clamps the unit inside. The 62 series uses the same kind of "rail" mount as the Oregon:

I am not sure about the plug. Do you have a USB connector or the old style Garmin cord? I'm not completely sure, but don't think that old style plug is supported anymore.

Policy Peddler

I have both mapsource and basecamp I really do not care which i use, as i am not proficent with either.
I am thinking I want all of Arizona, southern edge of Nevada, western edge of New Mexico & southern Utah. We are going to Arizona - grand canyon, Tucson for 10 days.

I have a cradle that the gps fits into with the ram mount.
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-GPS60

Boyd

RAM is showing a different looking mount for the 62s: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045071065052049085/Default.aspx

You may need to call them and ask, or just buy the GPS and see if it fits.  :)

In mapsource, you would do just as I described. Use the dropdown menu to first choose a map, then the selection tool to highlight the area you want. Now use the dropdown to choose the next map and select what you want there. Repeat as needed. You will see all the different map tiles in the list on the left. Now just send it all to your GPS, or preferably to a memory card reader or slot on your computer. That will be a lot faster than the s l o w USB1.0 on your 60.  ;D

Policy Peddler

why do i think this sounds a lot simpler than it is!

thank you very much for your assistance it is greatly appreciated.

OK it was that easy

and it is that long!

it shows me 45 minutes to down load it.

-Oz-

We have a tutorial that will walk you through this for Basecamp or Mapsource; as stated above just make sure you select all the maps you want on there at the same time.

Tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!