GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex 30 or the Oregon 450

Started by miked, August 01, 2012, 08:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miked

I am thinking about getting the either the etrex 30 or the oregon 450.  I might use it for mountain biking, but mainly for hiking (so I can find my way home) and geocaching with the family.  I have read quite a bit about them. so what are the problems or issues users are having with these units?
Thanks.

maps4gps

Quote... mainly for hiking (so I can find my way home) ...
Always carry a paper map and know how to read it.  Batteries die, GPSrs get droped/bumped, and their components fail, etc.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on August 01, 2012, 10:31:24 AM
Always carry a paper map and know how to read it.  Batteries die, GPSrs get droped/bumped, and their components fail, etc.

A magnetic compass will help if the batteries die too ;).  Re the two GPSrs mentioned, you really need to see them in a store so you know whether you prefer touchscreen or buttons.

Boyd

Definitely visit a store, these two units are vastly different and you will have a visceral reaction. The eTrex is really tiny, and I was surprised when I first saw one in person since product photos didn't really give me that impression.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on August 01, 2012, 11:12:30 AM
The eTrex is really tiny, and I was surprised when I first saw one in person since product photos didn't really give me that impression.
Really nice for some, unless you prefer a large touchscreen display. 8)