GPSFileDepot.com

Problems with upgrade to City Navigator 2011.20

Started by Medic33, September 13, 2010, 05:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic33

Hi folks;

Thought I'd see if anyone else was having problems with this.....

GPSr is Garmin 60Cx, running v4.0 firmware.  2GB memory card.  Mapsource is latest version, 6.16.2 (I think, it's not 6.15.7..)  Originally purchased CN North America 2008 (full unlocked).  Got the numaps Lifetime upgrade given to me as a gift just recently.  So far, I've tried to download it 8 times over the weekend, and the same error message:  "The software has failed to install the maps on your system".

Computer is WinXP, SP 3.  .Net 3.5 framework installed & validated.  Garmin Communicator Plugin is the latest version.  The Garmin Map Updater validates the unit, moves on to Step 1 (Download) and appears to be downloading all the data.  As it moves on to step 2 (Preparing) the error shows up.  When I look in the Garmin directory, I do see that it's created the directory structure - but all folders are empty!!!  Hmm... and I just remembered that when the map updater runs, Install Options is always grey'd out.

Any thoughts before I start yelling (ahem - I mean "Negotiating Politely" (with a big stick...)) at Garmin to fix their disastrous download system?  I've applied all their FAQ fixes (changed server settings, removed the WinXP KB966769 hotfix, full power to USB, etc, etc...)  Anyone else had these problems?

cheers & thanks in advance!

ed

Medic33

Just an update - after 2.5 hours on the phone with Garmin Tech support!!!

When installing an update - you absolutely must not, ever, ever ever change the default save directory the installer wants to put stuff in.  (Usually C:\Documents & Settings\All Users... )

If you do, you end up with a really confused installer!  And a really grumpy end user.

Cheers to the Garmin Techs - they hung in there and got 'er done!

ed.

Indrid Cold

Garmin is serious about having happy customers despite some of the feedback you might find on the web. I haven't seen anything other that good work from them.

Seldom

It depends on whether or not you get a good tech or a not so good one.  I spent several hours on the phone and went through several techs just to get a CNNANT unlock key straightened out.  The last guy I talked to realized that Garmin had screwed up.  The first two guys just wanted to tell me why it was too expensive to issue me a valid unlock key, when the upgrade disk they sent me didn't come with the proper codes pasted on it.

-Oz-

Wow... the updates take hours and hours for the nuvis too.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!