GPSFileDepot.com

is there a way for me to load a list of lat/long locations in one shot

Started by PuLpfiction, September 25, 2010, 08:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuLpfiction

I have the 255w, i do bridge inspections, I have over 2773 bin numbers with the Lat/Long, is there a way to load them all at once? Please Help, Thanks in Advance..........

Boyd

If you can put them into a .gpx file, the Nuvi can easily import them. The 255w has a limit of 1000 favorites (aka waypoints) however, so you would need to break it up into 3 pieces and only work with a max of 1000 at a time.

Once you get them into a .gpx file, name the file temp.gpx. Copy that file to the GPX folder on your Nuvi. If a temp.gpx file already exists, delete it. When the Nuvi restarts, it will import all the locations. Before doing this, you will probably want to delete all existing favorites on the 255w because the imported data will be added to any existing favorites. Press Menu > Tools > My Data > Delete Favorites > Select All.

Before messing with any of this however, do a full backup of the Nuvi... just in case. Connect it to your computer and copy all the files to a folder on your computer.  This will take quite awhile and use about 2GB of space on your hard drive.

Note that the temp.gpx file is only used for input when the locations are imported. It is not actually read by the Nuvi while it's in use. The actual favorites are stored in protected memory that you cannot access. Also note the file named Current.gpx in the GPX folder. Every time you start the Nuvi, this file is erased and rebuilt. It contains a copy of all the internal .gpx data that the Nuvi actually uses. In addition to the waypoints (favorites), it will contain tracklogs showing where you have been.

PuLpfiction

I want to thank you for your Quick Responce on the .gpx file, I broke up all 2771 Bin locations into 4 seperate files of 693 locations each, the format for getting the bin numbers and the lat/long correct was -73.7326209932, 40.9488980457, 1000040  <- which was the  long, lat, bin# and I used this site to convert it to .gpx   http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/poi_manager.php   , but like you said my Garmin will only hold 1000 locations in Favorites, so it won't take all 2771 locations, I put all the locatons on note pad ( and have it on the memory sd card  8 gig )and for the ones i will be doing weekly i just copy and paste them to a new note pad then load it onto the site for conversion ( from my pc or the pc at the hotels I stay at Upstate ). If anyone knows of a way to load and store all 2771 locations on either my 255w or 265wt please let me know or I will just keep doing it the way I mentioned. Once again Thank you for all your Help.......

Boyd

I have never felt the need to work with custom POI's, however (now that I think of it) I believe they don't have the same limit as favorites. Have a look at POI Loader, which is a free Garmin program: http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

I think this program can import your .gpx file and export it as a POI file (.gpi I think?). There are also probably other utilities for this. POI's behave a little differently from favorites, but would probably work fine for your application.

PuLpfiction

Once again I must thank you, all 2771 locations loaded as Custom POI's and all i have to do is go to "Extras", Choose "Custom POI's" type in the bin number and the location comes up and click it then GO and it directs me perfectly. LMMFAO I had disable alert sounds because every time i came close to a location i received and "8mph warning" indication and it became a pain in the butt, once i disabled the sound alert all worked fine, Thanx Again for all your Help.

Boyd

Glad that helped. I believe that numbers in POI names are interpreted as speed limits on Garmin. This "feature" comes up from time to time in various forums.