GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Getting started, help please

Started by Wild Rumpus, September 02, 2010, 12:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Rumpus

I have read quite a few of the posts here and am a new member of the site. After researching hiking GPS units (partly on this forum), I purchased the Garmin Oregon 450. I have downloaded Basecamp and MapSource as well as the Arizona topo, Utah topo, and the Canyonlands-Bryce-Zion one. Being from MN, I plan to add maps from MN but haven't had time to look into it yet.

In a month, my wife and I are going to Zion and Grand Canyon North Rim to hike. I'm not sure if I need all three of the map files I downloaded. I also am not sure if I should use Basecamp or Mapsource to do this.

I plan to use a micro SD card with the unit and would like to add multiple topos to the card. I read somewhere about how it rewrites the card each time you load maps. I'd like to have the option to add more maps to the card later though. Is this possible by renaming files or some other way.

Also, I read about Birdseye and am thinking I may add that at some point. Some discussions on the site centered around trouble with contour lines messing up the view in Birdseye or waypoints not working properly. If you could comment on that too, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

maps4gps

Either MapSource or BaseCamp can be used to send map data to the GPSr.

A new gmapsupp.img it sent to the card each time MS or BC is used to send map data to the GPSr.
On the newer units, CO,OR,DK,78,62, rename this to somename.img, ie. aztopo.img, uttopo.img, cnbczn.img or send all three at once and rename vac2010.img.  The GPSr will see and be able to use them all as if they were in one file and you can delete each individually without having to rebuild a new gmapsupp.img file as on the older units.  Do NOT add data to a Garmin prerecorded data card.

Wild Rumpus

Thanks. I think everything worked ok but I am having trouble telling if everything is showing when I enable the maps. I'll keep trying.

maps4gps

Most mapsets are made so that more detail will show as you zoom-in.  With normal settings on the GPSr, all detail will be showing at the 500 or 800 ft display level.