GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

NE USA mapsets

Started by Snake Eyes, June 06, 2010, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake Eyes

I have installed part 1 and part 3.  Is there a way to merge them so that I can view all the maps when using Mapsource?  Currently, PA is split laterally and I have to switch between part 1 and part 3 to view the topos.
Thanks

-Oz-

Currently there isn't.  The map would have to be reprocessed with cgpsmapper to create a new preview file.

If you really want to do that you can copy all the .img files into one directory and then follow this tutorial to recreate the preview information: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Snake Eyes

Thanks OZ...I tried that and the process failed with some kind of error.

I copied all the IMG files to another folder, leaving out the TBD and overview IMG files.
The process seemed to be working, but finally failed.
There are 5 new files in the folder now:
registration entries, MDX, MP, PV and a TBD.

maps4gps

Just a guess; I suspect the mapauthor was also unable to compile NE as one file, so broke it into three parts.

Snake Eyes

Quote from: maps4gps on June 09, 2010, 05:33:46 AM
Just a guess; I suspect the mapauthor was also unable to compile NE as one file, so broke it into three parts.

maps4gps
You might be right.  
I tried several more times without success to merge NE TOPO1 AND NE TOPO3.
Along the way, I learned some other stuff which might be useful to others browsing these forums.

I was able to merge the 2 mapsets with Mapsource for upload to my 60csx.  The upload failed several times with a "communication" error.  I tried disabling automatic updates of various kinds, shutting off screen saver function, etc, with the thought that some other computer event was disrupting the lengthy upload.  The upload finally succeeded when I unplugged the USB cable from my hub device, and lined straight into a port on my laptop body.  Duh.  
So, now I have NE TOPO 1 and 3 mapsets installed and functioning on my handheld.  Data is less than 1G, and I have a 4G card in the unit.

But my original problem was still unsolved, the perhaps minor annoyance of having to switch between mapsets when using Mapsource.  The problem State is PA, which is divided laterally between 2 mapsets.  So I did a smaller merge which basically covered PA and it worked perfectly.  
Perhaps I can upload the PA mapset if anyone is interested.  

Since Mapsource had no problem merging the 2 mapsets for upload, I am still curious as to this limitation RE Mapsettoolkit/cgpsmapper process.  The 3 NE TOPO mapsets created by John M seem to follow logical regional sectioning and perhaps were not dictated by a size limitation RE compiling.

PS  The 60csx ROCKS for maintaining satellite contact, for what it's worth!  My tracks are almost always continuous, whether hanging from a carabiner, or stuffed inside a backpack.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Snake Eyes on September 06, 2010, 05:15:55 PM
Perhaps I can upload the PA mapset if anyone is interested.
Please do not alter someone else's maps and repost them.

maps4gps

To do so without the map author's permission would be to violate the copyright.

Snake Eyes

Yes, of course!
Sorry about that.
They are great maps, thanks John!