GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

bmap2mp & cgpsmapper

Started by Dana, January 20, 2009, 08:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I'm trying to use bmap2mp & cgpsmapper to convert a raster aeronautical chart to garmin .img.  Working with a small subset for testing purposes, I've georeferenced the .bmp file, processed it through bmap2mp and gotten a good, if not great, filtered out.bmp (I can tweak it later) and a polish .mp file.  I then run it through cgpsmapper, but I end up with only a two color map, blobs of one color accurately representing the shape of the input map but unusable) when I load the img file into the GPSr (Garmin 60CSx).  What am I missing?

-Dana

-Oz-

there should be a .typ file I would assume; is there?

never used the program but thats how I would expect it to work.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Dana

Yes, bmap2mp also creates a txt file which cpgsmapper can convert into a typ file as a separate operation.  I tried that as well, using the -r option in cgpsmapper when I create the img file but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

-Dana

Dana

I'm not clear... does cgpsmapper use the typ file when creating the img file from the mp file?  Or does the typ file have to be use to process the img file afterwards?

I've been using cgpsmapper to convert the txt file into a typ file first, then creating the img file, using the -r option and specifying the typ file name, then copying the img file to the gps's memory card.  Is this wrong?

-Dana

Boyd

.typ files are only used by the GPS itself and are completely separate from the maps. After you've compiled the map and the .typ file (separately), use sendmap20 (free download from the cgpsmapper site). Drop the map(s) into the file window, then drop the .typ file in as well. Send the whole mapset to your GPS and the .typ file will control how the image is displayed. But it has to be bundled with the actual maps as part of a mapset, not sent as a separate file.

Dana

Thanks, I got it now... figured that out just after my last post.  The maps are now readable on the GPS, though not good enough... but that's just tweaking now (I hope) that I have the basics.  I need to work on colors, and the zoom levels at which the maps appear.

Still not clear what the -r option is for if not to include the typ files in the img file cgpsmapper produces?

-Dana

-Oz-

Glad its working for you.

I'm not sure about the -r but I highly recommend mapsettoolkit.  Just simplifies everything.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!