GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Getting maps to SD card

Started by rocks911, August 31, 2010, 01:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocks911

OK so I just purchased an Oregon 450 and a 8 gig card. When I plug in my Oregon through the usb into my computer how do I locate the card? The Garmin owners manual says that the card can be used as a mass storage device, well duh, but it doesnt appear. How do I load onto it? I have the North American navigation maps but cant figure how to get them on the card.

Any help would be appreciated

Indrid Cold

The Oregon with a microSD card should mount on the Desktop on a Macintosh or be found under My Computer in Windows as two different removable drives. Would help to know what OS you are using to better give you more detailed instructions.

Boyd

On Windows you may get a dialog box asking what you want to do with the card. Windows is a little too helpful and thinks it's a camera or something.  ;D  You may want to check your autoplay settings. I have my default set to open the disk and view the files, but I still get a menu asking what I want to do each time (with opening the disk as the default choice).

brownj5

I have a 530Hcx and I purchased an 8 GB microSD. My experience is to go into Main Menu and then select Setup. Find the Interface icon and select it. The unit should be plugged into the usb already. If not plug it in and down at the bottom of the screen you will find the Mass Storage button. As soon as you select it will show up as a hard drive. I did have problems with getting MapSource to load Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. It kept coming up with errors when I would try and download from MapSource. I contacted support via email and they said I needed to get a 4 GB card as Garmin will only read the first 4 GB. I then partitioned my 8 GB card through a Linux disk utility and it has been working fine since. ;D

rocks911

I think my post may have been premature. I found the drive no problem. Thanks for the replies.