GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Filetypes

Started by brianw7, August 25, 2010, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianw7

What is the difference between a GPX vs. A GPD fie type? I noticed that in Mapsource I can save as either file type and it doesn't seem tp affect the data, but when I'm working in expert GPS it only allows me to work with GPX files.

Also, I know tracks are saved as GPX, what are routes saved as? when I hook my GPSr up to the computer I can easily identify my tracks, but not my routes. Yet when I download from Mapsource the file I send to the GPSr (which I saved as a GPX file) contains Tracks, waypoints & routes how is this possible?

Thanks for the help.

Boyd

.gpx files can contain waypoints, tracks and routes.

What is a GPD file? Do you mean .gdb file perhaps? .gdb stands for "Garmin DataBase". It is a collection of everything you currently have loaded into Mapsource - tracks, routes, waypoints and maps. In the case of maps, it isn't the actual map data itself, but a list of which map tiles you have selected.

.gdb files only work in Mapsource (probably also in BaseCamp - haven't tried). They can't be used by your GPS itself.

The advantage of .gpx files is that it's a recognized standard used by many other software packages and GPS'es. It's a way to exchange track, waypoint and route data between different devices and programs.

brianw7

Yes, I meant .gdp. Thanks.

Boyd

.gdp??? It's .gdb - with file extensions, spelling matters.  ;D

brianw7

OK...so I'm dslexic. Anyway, How do I view waypoints when my GPSr is hooked up to my computer? I don't see any file that look like my waypoints...I know I have waypoints on the device because I can view them on the GPSr. Thanks.

Boyd

Depends somewhat on what model GPS you have. This may not work with the newest Oregon's and Dakota's, but otherwise, start Mapsource with the GPS connected and go to Transfer > Receive from device. Check the waypoints box. This should load everything from the GPS into mapsource, and they should appear in the waypoints pane on the left.

On the Oregon or Nuvi series, you can open the GPS like a disk when connected. Look for a file named Current.gpx inside the GPX folder. Copy it to your computer. It will contain all your waypoints, routes and tracks. You can then open that file in Mapsource (you may have to select the "all files" option from the dropdown menu in the dialog box in order to recognize the file however).

Again, the waypoints will appear in the left-hand pane in Mapsource.

IDmtBiker

Mapsource converts the gpx files from your GPS to a .gdb file.    however BASECAMP only seem to use .gpx, so you have to import Mapsource .gdb files into Basecamp.    very strange, first time I tried BASECAMP. not sure why Garmin has these two programs set to use different .gpx/.gdb files.   just confuses people, like me!!!
GPS's: Garmin Nuvi 255wt, Garmin Colorado 300, Garmin Oregon 400t, Garmin 60csx, Magellan Triton 500, Garmin Birdseye Subscription