GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

California Topo

Started by Kevin, June 12, 2010, 11:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I am new to the GPS world.  I bought a GPSmap 60CSx, downloaded the waypoint and trip disk and the other mapsource off this website.  I also downloaded the California topo, but cannot get it to go into mapsource to put onto my GPS.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Jimbob

Trip and waypoint manager should have come with your GPSr. Sounds like it did not get installed as you cannot download same from here. Training center comes first. Try downloading basecamp directly from Garmin. Basecamp is intended to replace mapsource.

Boyd

The file you downloaded should be an installer. When you run the program, it should install the map into mapsource. See this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Kevin

Alright, well thanks for all the help.  Got it to load and transfer to my GPS. 

actionwatcher

I have related question. When I load Cal. Topo into 60cs I see the topo but not the roads and trails. Is it the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks.
-a

PS I see trails and roads in MapSource.

actionwatcher

You want to marquee your selection and not click on maptiles to select your area of interest.

Thanks. I will try tonight.

actionwatcher

thanks. It did work.

Kyle Nguyen

Hi,

I'm new to handheld gps. I have the same unit and have the same problem.

What do you mean by "marquee"? First time I selected the tile of map. Not sure how marquee work.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

maps4gps

Read this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Step 6 shows the results of marquee.  You place the cursor in a quad, hold the left mouse button, drag to the opposite corner and release mouse button.  All the quads within the polygon thus outlined will be selected and listed in the selected window on the left.  If you are zoomed-out to show the entire mapset (i.e. State), you can select all the quads in one 'motion'.

Boyd

FWIW, I believe the term "marquee" was first used in reference to computers when Apple popularized the mouse-driver graphical user interface. You use the mouse to drag across a rectangular area from corner to corner, and the computer displays a dotted line around the area you choose.

Some people have described this effect as "marching ants", because the dots in the line seem to move. This also looks a little like the signs in front of old movie theatres - where were called "marquees" and had flashing lights around the outer edge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_(sign)

So the term "marquee" today uwould apply to anything on your computer screen that you can select by dragging across with the mouse while holding down the button.

lahiker

Thanks for a great forum and services.

The tutorials are very helpful in addressing a lot of questions about the garmin gpsr.

I have a slightly different question, I downloaded the california topo, installed parts of it on my 60csx, only have a .5 gb card there currently. How does one find whether a specific area has been copied over?

Also, using National Geographic topo software on the computer, one can easily find the area, or a peak by searching by name, how does one find that on the downloaded calif topo software from this site.

on my gpsr I did it by using the garmin 100k topo software to navigate to my location (no search there, but has annotations and peaks listed) and then hiding that map and switching to the calif. topo software. Any better way?

thanks

Boyd

The easiest way to tell what you have loaded on the GPS is to simply zoom way out where you see a bigger view. The maps you loaded should be superimposed on the basemap which will show state boundaries. In the future, I believe you can save a .gdb file in Mapsource while you still have the desired map tiles selected after transferring them to the GPS.

Your ability to search the map is governed by how it was compiled and what POI's were included by the author. The info you are looking for may not be part of this map. You should be able to search for POI's using Garmin's own 100k Topo maps, or at least I am able to.

You may be able to download POI's for your desired area and install them with POI loader as well (or create waypoints from them). A little searching with Google should help you find them.

lahiker

Thanks very Boyd! your suggestions worked.

Quote from: Boyd on June 22, 2010, 08:22:23 PM
The easiest way to tell what you have loaded on the GPS is to simply zoom way out where you see a bigger view. The maps you loaded should be superimposed on the basemap which will show state boundaries. In the future, I believe you can save a .gdb file in Mapsource while you still have the desired map tiles selected after transferring them to the GPS.

Your ability to search the map is governed by how it was compiled and what POI's were included by the author. The info you are looking for may not be part of this map. You should be able to search for POI's using Garmin's own 100k Topo maps, or at least I am able to.

You may be able to download POI's for your desired area and install them with POI loader as well (or create waypoints from them). A little searching with Google should help you find them.

Jimbob

Also, using National Geographic topo software on the computer, one can easily find the area, or a peak by searching by name, how does one find that on the downloaded calif topo software from this site.

A simple way to find specific locations is to make them a waypoint in mapsource/basecamp, then place/add those waypoints to your GPSr. Now you can find that certain spot on the GPSr map real easy.