GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin eTrek Vista Hcx

Started by TJSurvival, April 30, 2010, 07:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJSurvival

Looking for some feedback on this unit. I need a GPS with an electronic compass and altimeter for use in the Rockies.  Also likethe MicroSD card expansion.
I need a unit that will work in canyons and heavy tree cover with no problems. That is a major concern for me.

Would love to here from someone on this unit. IS it worth the money?

Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED ! !

Thanks Todd          [email protected]

eaparks

The Vista Hcx is a very good unit for what your asking.  The Garmin 60CSx is also a great unit for your requirements.  The 60CSx uses a quad-helix antennae which is supposedly a little more accurate in tough conditions.  The battery life will be a little better on the Vista HCx and the unit is more pocket size, but that also means a smaller screen.  From what you are asking I believe you will be happy with either one.  Size, price and personal preference will probably be the deciding factors.  The menus and screen displays are basically the same on both, your just use different buttons to get to the various screens.

edit: If satellite imagery/maps are something that you might want then you would want to look at the Dakota or Oregon series.

fercactus

I use the Vista HCx and am very happy with this unit.  I use Lithium batteries and get about 28 hours out of the unit.  I have Windows XP running in VirtualBox on Kubuntu.  No problems loading the Garmin as a USB device or selecting the USB storage mode from the Garmin menu.  I also like the feature to disable the GPS.  This saves on batteries when you just want to transfer data between the Garmin and your PC.  Linux does have QLandkarte GT which works with this unit.  As far as satellite reception goes -- this unit is the best.  My father had a Magellan and it was very poor at receiving satellites.  Indoors this unit can pick up satellites.  So, I believe that you would do fine in a canyon, such as the Royal Gorge or the Black Canyon of Colorado.  Depending on location in the house it may take from 1 minute to 5 minutes (1 minute - close to window; 5 minutes - in a basement).  I would recommend this unit to anyone.