GPSFileDepot.com

Help!! issue with Displaying street names on Oregon 400t

Started by shamik2203, April 02, 2010, 07:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamik2203

Hi,
I just bought a Oregon 400t. Using Basecamp i loaded US Planimetric - North East from maps4gps
into it. After loading , it seems that it has stopped displaying street names or any text on the map. Even the originally installed Topo map doesnt show the elevation numbers on the contour lines.
Can someone please help me figure out how to get it back?

Thanks a lot.

maps4gps

Posts on the groundspeake forums on this started a few hours ago. 

Looks like Garmin did not do sufficient testing of the GPSr software needed to handle the Birdseye imagery.  A few posts mentioned the names/labels return when they went back to the old software/firmware.

Boyd

Yes, I have an Oregon 400t and can confirm that after running WebUpdater my street names also disappeared. Another 400t owner on a local forum has the same problem. My software version is 3.70.

You can download earlier versions of the system software here, but you will lose support for BirdsEye: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions#x-Detailed%20Version%20History-Software%203.70

Seldom

Same thing with the OR300.  I'm thinking that maybe its a good idea to skip any firmware upgrades that have an odd number after the decimal.  The even numbered ones seem to contain essential bug fixes.

I wonder why Garmin doesn't have any OR support on their forums..... ???

shamik2203

Im on 3.70 too. Before loading the US P E , i did upgrade the firmaware. Since then it has not worked.

So there shouldnt be any issues going back on firmware version then??

Seldom

Download the 3.60 software version from Boyd's link.

Follow the instructions on that page CAREFULLY.

I've done this several times, with no problems except I lose my settings when I revert to an earlier software version.  Also, the first time I reverted the firmware, I left the memory card in, and my OR300 became unresponsive.  After I removed the memory card it reverted to the earlier version just fine.  Now I remove the card before reverting and re-insert it afterwards, and I've had no problems.

taaza

I'm having the same issue with my Colorado 400T after Garmin advised me to upgrade to their latest software after a fading display issue... now display is great, but NO street names!   >:(   Does anyone have a link so that I can downgrade Colorado's previous version...3.20 (I believe).  Thanks!

maps4gps

taaza

Quote from: maps4gps on April 02, 2010, 03:33:50 PM
I think Boyd's 9AM post link has that.

That was for Oregon, but I did find the link for Colorado's 3.20:

http://bit.ly/b6rP63 

I downgraded and voila!  I have street names again!  Easter weekend geocaching can now commence!  ;D

alpine

You just gotta laugh.

Just another case of Garmin using their customers as beta testers!

This has happened so many times, I personally wait for about three months after a software up-date, just to see what the fallout is from the update will be. It has saved me from bricking my Garmin's a couple of times.

You just gotta laugh.

Boyd

Yeah, I'm usually like that too and the software on my Oregon was several versions old before I did this upgrade. But I wanted to play with BirdsEye, and honestly I expected things to be buggy. Not a big deal since I have no immediate need to use the GPS at the moment.

But it would definitely be a bad idea to install a new update the day before a trip.