GPSFileDepot.com

Dowloaded maps to GPS but not on the Mapsource.

Started by vonhef, March 01, 2010, 08:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonhef

I purchased both the City Navigator® North America NT and TOPO U.S. 100K from Garmin via the download from the internet onto my Garmin 60CSx.

1. First problem is, when one map is installed, and I download the second map... the first map is erased and no longer available?!!?

2. Since I purchased the downloaded version of these maps, how can I get these maps uploaded to my Mapsource program?

3. If I load a map from my Mapsource program, will it erase every map that is already installed on my GPS?

Thank you for your help.

-Oz-

I didn't know you could do the download; it didn't install them to mapSource?

If you load via mapsource it will erase all the maps on the GPS unit but you can select both maps at the same time to load them. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

vonhef

Ok... you answered my questions. Unfortunatly, this doesn't help solve my problem. Looks like I wasted money on the downloaded software.  >:(

maps4gps

Quote1. First problem is, when one map is installed, and I download the second map... the first map is erased and no longer available?!!?
Best to ask Garmin how to get two of their downloadable products on the GPSr.  If it can not be done, perhaps they will send you versions on DVD.

alpine

The DVD path is the best. But it requires more patience. The download is immediate graditification, but it gives you no backup if there is a mistake or failure along the way.

See if Garmin will send you the DVD.

Boyd

It's too late now unfortunately, but the following comes from Garmin's knowledge base. The downloadable version is sort of the "worst of all possible worlds" I'm afraid....  >:(

Question:  Should I purchase mapping for my GPS on a disc, pre-programmed datacard, or as downloadable content?

Answer:  Mapping for your Garmin GPS unit is sold in a variety of ways. It can be purchased on a disc, as a pre-programmed datacard, or it can be downloaded from our website. Please see below for the benefits of each format:

DVD/CD: Maps purchased in this format will require a computer to use but will allow you to plan trips on your computer and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to your GPS device. The installation process will install the mapping and the MapSource application to your computer. MapSource can then be used to send maps to either your device or a datacard. Please note that most mapping products in this format are unlocked to a single device and they are non-transferable. City Navigator maps in this format can be updated by purchasing a mapping update, when available.

Pre-programmed datacards: Pre-programmed datacards are immediately ready to use. Simply unpack the card and insert it into your compatible GPS device. These maps do not need to be unlocked to your device which allows you to move the card to multiple units if desired, however you will not have access to the mapping on your computer. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Downloadable Content: Maps purchased in this format can be downloaded directly from the Garmin website. This is the quickest method of getting mapping for your next trip. Downloaded maps can be sent to either your GPS unit or a blank datacard. All maps in this format are unlocked to a specific device and they can only be used on the device that they were unlocked to. Similar to the pre-programmed datacards, this mapping is not available on your computer for use in planning routes. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Note: Before selecting your purchase option, be sure to review the requirements tab on the individual mapping product page to ensure your device and/or computer will work with the selected format.

Last modified on:  12/29/2009