News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

ME topo map

Started by savage, August 18, 2008, 05:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

Very interesting.

What computer are you using to do all this?  You'll cream my topos soon.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Gateway M-series laptop with 3Gb RAM, 13 months old.  Try to run it with 100+Gb free space.  Data stored on external USB hard drive(s).  Only GM and some programs for GPS map creation on it.  Never have found the processor speed, but similiar laptops are now under $500.

I was not intending to put any files for the western states on a website.  You produce excellent maps at reasonable file sizes.  I intended to fill the need for transparent contours and those not having the need and/or download capacity for the Ibycus 800+Mb US file.

The planimetic runs using Censu & GNIS data are 'finished'.  Of 40 30x60 quads with an .img file size above 5Mb, 8 are west of 102W longitude.  The Houston (10.5) and Chicago (10.2) top the list.

After resolving the website (current one seams to have gone belly-up) and some other data issues, I may do at set of contours at half my current interval - about equivalent to the interval you are using.  Then tackle hydro with new NHD data.  Perhaps a full topo with 24K equivalent contours, NHD hydro, GNIS, and Census transportation, etc.

-Oz-

The USGS totally goes down way too often.

Yea, automation is good.  For nevada that I'm uploading now the longest part was actually the processing to .img files; took about 4 days which is insane.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!