GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

how long does map install take?

Started by charkol, May 05, 2010, 05:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charkol

I have a new Dakota 20 which I am attempting to load some topo's onto it.

I have read through the tutorial about this and am using basecamp as I am running Windows 7.

When I right click on the device or my sd card, nothing appears to happen.  But in fact, the program MapInstall.exe is indeed running, but it will remain running for as long as I let it...I gave up after 20 minutes.  Is this normal?  How long does this portion take?

maps4gps

What is the size of what you are transfering?

Directly to the GPSr or micro memory card can take a very long time.  Put the micro memory card in a card reader if you can.

Try a small area to get an idea of how long it might take.

-Oz-

The dakota has usb 2.0 so it isn't as long as earlier.  It could take a long time if the area is huge.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Full City Navigator NA NT to USB2.0 reader should take about 30 minutes.  To a 60CSX the same map would take between 2 and 2.5 hours.

schandler

I have recently installed garmin 24k west and SW maps onto 4gigmicroSDHC card.

I had to buy $10 microcard reader since the 4gig microcard-sd adapter was not read by my older drazzle multicard reader. No big deal.

Installed map onto microsdhc via card reader. It took about 6 hours to install the entire map. Same for Southwest garmin map as well. I suggest you start the install and go out with your buddies for a beer!

Otherwise works great on unit. Followed Oz instructions and the basecamp help menu.
good luck
scott