GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Custom maps from ArcMap

Started by naslami, February 25, 2010, 07:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naslami

I work for a land management agency and in ArcMap we create shapefiles of areas we want to treat, which we load onto our Trimble units for field verification. I want to start using Garmin for this task (have a GPSmap60CSx), but using DNR Garmin, I can only load one polygon from a shapefile at a time because otherwise it connects all the polygons weirdly on the unit.

Can I create a custom map with this entire shapefile and load it? Do I need to create the whole map I need (topo, ownership, roads, etc.), or will the shapefile map display over the Garmin background maps?

What process should I use to create such a map and will my unit accept this map?

Boyd

Careful with the term "custom maps" these days. Garmin is not using this to describe special raster-based maps which only work on the Oregon, Colorado and Dakota! I would call what you want a "Garmin compatible map" myself.

There are a number of ways to do what you want. If you make a map with a transparent background and mess with map draw priority (which gets a little tricky), it can display on top of another map. It will certainly display on top of the 60csx basemap without problems. However, any polygons in the map will cover up objects on the map below. In garmin's format, polygons are always filled and they cannot have a border. You could convert the polygons to polylines first, if your software allows this.

I believe the DNR Garmin just makes a .gpx file from shapefiles, like a tracklog. This is not really a "map" (haven't used it myself, but that's my understanding).

The simplest program for what you want to do is Mapwel: http://mapwel.eu/. It is not free, but you can use the demo version without restriction on your computer to see if it works. It strips details out of the map for the GPS however unless you purchase a license key. The basic version will only upload maps directly to the GPS which you register it to, but the advanced version will upload maps to any GPS as well as save them on your computer.

But this program is much more user-friendly than any of the other methods, and it does everything in one package. Other solutions would involve using two or more programs to create the sourcefile and then compile the map in Garmin format.

Seldom

If you have access to any Global Mapper installations where you work, GM 8 and later export Polish format files.  These are the source code for the cgpsmapper compiler.

You can download a free non-routable version here:

http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm.

A tutorial about compiling data and getting it into MapSource is available here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/

naslami

The two-step process seems to be over my head - I can't even get the free version of cgpsmapper to run on my computer....

I downloaded Mapwell to try it out but I can't upload to the GPS until I purchase. I was able to import my shapefile to Mapwell, so if it lets me upload, I could display it on a background map, correct? And if I make the polygons polylines instead, I should be able to see map details (roads, topo, streams, etc.?

And yes, DNR Garmin loads the polgyons as tracks, which is where it gets confusing because it connects the disjointed polygons to make it a track, but then all these crazy lines show up all over the place.

Boyd

I think the free version of Mapwel should let you upload a map to your GPS - it did for me before I decided to purchase. But it adds a watermark to the map and doesn't load all the map detail. However, if it doesn't even recognize your GPS, there may be an issue on your system. IIRC, part of the registration process involves reading your GPS Unit ID and locking Mapwel to it.

With the advanced version you can make maps for any GPS, or just save the files on your computer. However you still need the GPS you used to register the program. It serves like a "dongle" to authorize your copy of Mapwel.

I believe your other assumptions are correct.