News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

only one map per 2gb card?

Started by jpr28x, February 18, 2010, 09:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpr28x

OK.

I have read that you can only put one map on a memory card. Is this true?

So I can't put say, 2 700mb maps on one 2gb card and use it in the etrex hcx legend?

-Oz-

You can put one map image that is composed of many map sets.  On my unit (similar to that one) I have City Navigator, arizona topo, new mexico, utah, garmin topo 2008, colorado topo, etc and i just loaded them all from mapsource at the same time.

The limits are: 2gb (due to your card size) or 2025 map segments.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Quote from: jpr28x on February 18, 2010, 09:53:54 PM
OK.

I have read that you can only put one map on a memory card. Is this true?

So I can't put say, 2 700mb maps on one 2gb card and use it in the etrex hcx legend?

What Oz says is true if you purchased a blank 2GB card and you want to put maps on it.  If you purchased a 2GB card with a Garmin map on it, don't try to add anything to the card.

EZ-ONE

you wrote:"You can put one map image that is composed of many map sets.  On my unit (similar to that one) I have City Navigator, arizona topo, new mexico, utah, garmin topo 2008, colorado topo, etc and i just loaded them all from mapsource at the same time.

The limits are: 2gb (due to your card size) or 2025 map segments."

How to load multiple maps on 1 SD Card for Garmin 60CSX?

bsczar1

I wasn't sure if I should post a new topic, or just ask here, but I figured I as may as well keep it in an existing thread to cut down on the number of topics:

I have a Garmin Astro 220 dog tracking collar. I updated my MapSource, and can see the WI TOPO I downloaded (in MapSource), so I'm good there. Just need to transfer it, as well as the other maps I plan to dwonload from here, to the unit.

My question has to do with segments. I have a 4GB Micro SD card, so I have plenty of space, but I'll still be limited to 2025 segments. Is there an easy way to tell how many segments are in a particular map? I plan to install Northest Topo Part 1, 2 & 3, as well as WI, IL, IN, MI, IA, MO and MN TOPOS, but that may be too many segments. If I could see how many segments are in each, it may help me weed some out, if I even need to.

Thanks for great site!! 

maps4gps

In MapSource:
  open one of the mapsets
  drag the selection tool across the entire state map - the quads/tiles will be listed in the window on the left with the number of quads/segments and total size.  Record the results.
  select all the quads in this box and delete them.
  open another mapset and do the same.

bsczar1

That was easy enough. I figured there was an easy way, but this is all new to me. Just got the unit and MapSource yesterday. Thanks much.

bsczar1

I may have figured it out. I'll let you know. I was reading another thread further down. I'll let you know...

Nope. The Illinois Topo was already in the unit, and in the folder as the original gmapsupp.img file. I changed the .img file to "IL TOPO.img" so I wouldn't overwrite it. I then changed the Wisconsin Topo map set name in MapSource to "WI TOPO" before sending to the unit. Now neither shows up in the map list, so I am still in need of help:

OK, I have a few questions now. I loaded WI Topo, and then when that was done I loaded IL Topo. The only one that shows up in the unit is the Illinois. The Wisconsin isn't there, nor listed in the maps. Is it safe to assume I have to load everything I want, at one time, in order for it to work properly? I assume from the replies above, that is the case.

That brings me to my next problem. The Illinois Topo doesn't show up as 1 map called "Illinos Topo", but 49 maps. I'm assuming that because there are 49 map sets (or segments) in the Illinois Topo. If I add the other 7 states, as well as the 3 Plane-metric maps, I'll have 1890 maps to wade through to turn them on or off if needed. Is there a way to have each map I downloaded to show up as 1 map set, so I only have 11 maps to turn on or off? I'm new to this, so please forgive my ignorance...LOL

Seldom

I think, multiple, renamed, gmapsupp.IMGs are only supported on the OR and CO Garmins.  I think an Astro is like my 60CSX.  You can only have 1 gmapsupp.IMG and that's what it needs to be named.  To show both WI and IL in your Astro, I suspect you'll need to use MapSource to combine them into a single gmapsupp.IMG.  Then you'll be able to pick the maps to show from the Astro dialog.

You can add multiple map products using MapSource.  Select the product with the window at the top left.  Then select maps with the map select tool.  They turn pink.  Then select a different product and select more maps.

Boyd

Quote from: seldom_sn on February 27, 2010, 05:54:31 AM
I think, multiple, renamed, gmapsupp.IMGs are only supported on the OR and CO Garmins.

That's almost right.  :) The Oregon, Colorado and Dakota handhelds will recognize any file in the \Garmin folder with a .img extension. The Nuvi 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1600 series will recognize any file with a .img extension also, but you need to create a new folder called \Map and place the files in there.

But, this won't work on the OP's unit...

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 27, 2010, 07:20:05 AM
Quote from: seldom_sn on February 27, 2010, 05:54:31 AM
I think, multiple, renamed, gmapsupp.IMGs are only supported on the OR and CO Garmins.

That's almost right.  :) The Oregon, Colorado and Dakota handhelds will recognize any file in the \Garmin folder with a .img extension. The Nuvi 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1600 series will recognize any file with a .img extension also, but you need to create a new folder called \Map and place the files in there.

But, this won't work on the OP's unit...

I had a problem dragging and dropping individual IMG files directly from my computer to my OR300.  I found that if I sent them from MapSource or BaseCamp, and renamed them, they worked.  Belt and suspenders,maybe, but it was too much trouble to figure out what the trouble was with the individual IMG file.   BaseCamp and MapSource put the multiple gmapsupp.IMGs in the Garmin folder.

Boyd

That's very odd. I have been dragging/dropping .img files from my Windows Vista computer to both an Oregon and Nuvi 1350 with absolutely no problems. I think I've also done it with my Mac. Something must be strange in your computer settings.

I'm sure this is something you already know, but just in case, it is possible to create filenames like topo.img.img if you have one of the Windows preferences wrong for hiding file extensions.

bsczar1

Got the maps loaded, and then went and tried it out. Works like a charm. I opted to just load the 8 state topo maps, and hold off on the Plane-metric maps.  Took about 2 hours to load . Thanks a lot for your help, and this site!!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!