GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't view installed maps on GPS

Started by kcbtrish, June 30, 2015, 07:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcbtrish

I need help with a Garmin Montana 650t...for the first map I want on this GPS...I downloaded West Virginia ATV map.  It comes up on my BaseCamp account and the ATV trails look great.  Problem, I can see that I've installed it to my GPS - but no matter what I enable or disable in the Map Selection, it does NOT produce that map on the screen.  Does anyone know what I must have set incorrectly?

Seldom

Are you in WV?  If not you'll probably have to pan to see it.

kcbtrish

Thank you for replying.  I am in Wisconsin and trying to learn all of this.  I read in one of the Q&A that you need to zoom below 8 mi.  I panned to Roanoke, WV and zoomed in.  I NOW see the map I downloaded :o)
    I'm assuming the maps I download from this site are all "overlays" onto the default maps on my GPS system...is that correct?
    Do you know what maps I need to keep "enabled"...Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR...TOPO U.S. 100K?  If I want to run trails in northern Wisconsin and then take a trip to West Virginia...do I have to disable one downloaded trail map before going to the other? 
    Is there someplace to read and learn the colors, symbols, etc. used in these downloaded trail maps?
    If you are an ATV enthusiast, are there map suggestions you could provide?  I AM trying to learn and appreciate any help you can provide.

Seldom

I don't own a Montana, but if one works like any of my handhelds, you should be able to leave everything enabled.  Personally I'd disable the Topo US 100k, because most of the maps on this site are 24k.  I'd also have a routable map on my GPSr.  Either City Navigator, or a free one from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ .

If you ever travel out west you might find this map handy.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/701/

BobT

kc, I am the person who made the map you are referring to.  It is a transparent overlay map that you can have turned on along with a Topo map of WV that you can get on this site or from Garmin.  I and everyone I ride with usually just use my map since the Topo's seem dark.

When you installed the map it had a splash screen telling what the color code means, it was also copied onto your PC if you have a PC, does not work on Mac's.

Color code is below.

Green - Easy
Blue - Medium
Red or Black - Difficult   (Experienced riders only)
Red and Black - Most Difficult  (Very experienced riders only, winches & ropes)
Magenta - Major Paved or Hardtop Roads
Green and Red - Haul Road (Coal truck hauling road, riding is discouraged)
Green and Blue - Major trails between popular destinations (Stairs to Bud, Hilltop to HMP-16, Pizza Hut to War, Barkers Creek to Burning Rock, 9-Mile Creek By-Pass, HMIR Connector to Stairs)
Yellow and  Cyan - Boundaries of Twin Falls State Park, Camp Creek State Park, East Lynn Lake, and Kiah Creek

Color Coding of tracks is subjective and trail conditions can change due to time, weather, and logging.
Color Coding is to be used only as a general guideline, know your limitations and never ride alone.

Hatfield McCoy and Burning Rock Trails are Dashed Lines as well as Colored.
Hatfield McCoy and Burning Rock Trails are colored and numbered per trail system maps.

kcbtrish

THANK YOU for the help and the great ATV map.  Your additional information is VERY helpful to this "newbie"!
    I did try to cut and paste the map legend and then print it...but I couldn't get a good copy.  Your response here will make that much easier for me to do...so again, THANK YOU.

robbie3836

Hey guys I have been using the maps you post for a few years. There great. We ride 8-9 trips to Hatfield and Outlaws each year. I have been keeping tracks turned on and have a collection of them. Some of the outlaw trails are off a little on the master maps. We just did a trtwo trips in the Welch, War, Coalwood and Gary area plus Bramwell over to Riders paradise.  Who do I pass along any corrections...  By the way the maps are 90-98% dead on and rock.... I have only used printouts up until this year and used the Oruxmaps in my Samsung S3. Ran into a kid at riders that uses the Back Country and he was showing me the maps and the sat view offline,,, very very cool.

Also I am at a point where I have my S3 mounted on the handle bars but want to go to Tablet say 7" any suggestions on cases or DIY cases.