GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 450 adds miles to trip

Started by gatilover, May 27, 2015, 07:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatilover

I don't have this problem all the time but it is most irritating when I do.  I get to the trail head, reset the trip meter, go to track manager and turn on the track, clear current track, check the trip meter to make sure all field are "zeroed", then head out.  Check mileage down the trail, will show 1.2 miles (or whatever).  Check mileage after another 10 minutes and it shows 22.2 miles!!  Now I know my horse walks fast but not 60mph!   I have had this problem with another 450 and called Garmin tech support.  They had me do a hard reset and ultimately sent me another unit.  Anyone have any ideas as it appears Garmin doesn't?

Boyd

Those kinds of problems usually occur when you lose a good lock on the satellites. Could be an issue with the GPS receiver, or an obstruction that blocks its view of the satellites or a number of other things. If you look at the track, it will probably be fine except for one big spike that leads to a erroneous point 10 miles away.

gatilover

I wondered about losing the satellite as I am frequently in heavy treed areas.  The tracks always are spot on, just the odometer goes wacky. 

Boyd

The GPS chip sends position updates once per second and that is what the odometer uses to compute your distance. You can set track recording to do this also, or you can choose a variety of other settings including automatic. So you are probably using one of those other track settings, and it is not showing the "spike" that gives the erroneous distance reading.

If you also set your track recording method to once per second, I think you will be able to see what the problem is. But that isn't going to fix the issue with the odometer. And track logs are limited to 10,000 points, so if you record once per second you are limited to about 2 hours and 45 minutes of tracking.