GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Montana 600t

Started by brightize, March 25, 2015, 05:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brightize

Can gps file depot maps be added to the Garmin Montana 600t? I've heard the maps on file depot are more detailed than the preloaded maps that on the unit. True or not?

Boyd

I've had a Montana 600 for about 3 years and make my own maps, some of which are available here. It should be compatible with anything you find at GPSFileDepot. It is impossible to make any generalizations about the maps on this site. They are made by many different people with different goals and skill levels. Just download anything that looks interesting and decide for yourself if you like it.

However, the 100k topo map that Garmin includes on the "T models" has been widely criticized for its lack of accuracy. I had earlier versions of this map and it wasn't unusual for roads to be off by hundreds of feet. However, a few years ago Garmin switched to road data from Navteq (now called "Here") which is the same source they use for their City Navigator maps. So that should be an improvement. The roads on the old 100k topo maps were derived from US Census bureau "TIGER" data. That data is the source of the roads on many maps on this site also, since it is free.

Are you familiar with the paper USGS 100k topo maps? They are not very accurate either, and that was what Garmin tried to originally mimic with their 100k map.

brightize

Thank you. I was only going to buy a 600, but I found a 600t cheaper than a 600. I do not need it for street navigation, but rather lake/trail/hunting use.