GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Make Map of Property Border

Started by wnderer, March 05, 2015, 08:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnderer

I would like to make a map of my property border for my eTrex Legend H. I have marked the GPS locations of the corner pins and I have been able to bring them into Google Maps. Which tutorial would be the best one for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

eaparks

Here is a link to the original instructions where I rewrote Cypherman1's instructions for him for custom maps back in 2006, to make them easier to follow in English. He still has it posted on his original website, but since then they have been re-written numerous times and utilizing different software in some cases, some users say making it easier.  This is what I still use to this day, just because I'm familiar with this method.  https://sites.google.com/site/cypherman1/othertutoriallink and open the "Making Custom Topo Maps, Step by Step Instructions" or the "Making Custom Track and Waypoint Map"

Cypherman1 is the "Founding Father" of custom vector map making, making it possible when he created the software, MapSetToolKit.

I'm sure others will offer newer methods.

Boyd

Quote from: wnderer on March 05, 2015, 08:21:38 AMI have marked the GPS locations of the corner pins and I have been able to bring them into Google Maps.

For something as simple as what you describe, you could create a track in Basecamp or Mapsource from the waypoints you've saved. Then use this little program to turn it into a map that will work on your Legend:

http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

Now it's too bad that your GPS is an old model, because on newer Garmin handhelds I think this would be a much better (and easier) way to make a map, and it could include aerial imagery from Google. If you already have it in Google Maps, take a screenshot (.JPG) and then use this technique:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps

Even if you don't have a compatible GPS, you could still use this to create a map that will work in Basecamp (but not Mapsource). If you want to use the map on a Garmin GPS, make sure that the image (screenshot) is no larger than 1024x1024 pixels though. Larger maps of this kind are possible, but you would want to use some special software for that.

wnderer

Thanks for the help.

I don't understand what to do with the output from IMGfromGPX.

I started with the GoogleEarth image
I used a program called GPSBabel to create a track for BaseCamp.

The I used IMGfromGPX to create these directories

What do I do with them?

Boyd

I don't use that program myself, I use a powerful GIS package. But it appears to create a Garmin map in the newer .gmap format. Quit from Basecamp or Mapsource if it is running. Then try copying the .gmap folder to the following directory, where YOU is your Windows account name.

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps

The map should then be available in Mapsource and Basecamp, and you should be able to send it to your GPS the way you would do with any Garmin map.

wnderer

Boyd