GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Uconnect 730N (RER)

Started by kevinw60, March 01, 2015, 05:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinw60

New, (to me) 2011 Jeep Overland with built in 730N Garmin.  My goal is to have it track on off road topos and show my position just like it does on road.  Don't know if this is even possible but, it seems like it should be.  I am not very good with technology but, I have a son who is an IT guy who can help me.  Does anyone here know how to help and direct me on what to do?
I have downloaded 518-954-DSWtopo_install, to my laptop and have a flash drive.  Going to Death Valley next week for an off road adventure and any help would be appreciated.

Boyd

I have no idea what a "730N Garmin" is. Can you post a link with some info? You would need a way to transfer the map to the device. Does it have a slot for a memory card? Might be a very small slot for a microSD card (like the current Garmin Nuvi). Or maybe there is a USB interface that you can connect to?

If it has a slot, purchase a memory card (small one, like 4gb would be fine). Use a USB card reader or internal card slot on your computer to format it as FAT32 if it isn't already. With the card in the computer, follow this tutorial to send the map (Garmin's software will treat the card the same way it would an actual GPS)

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Alternately, if the car system has a USB port but no card slot, you would need to bring a laptop to the car and connect it. Then just follow the same tutoral above.

After doing either of these, you would need to figure out how to DISABLE the built-in map and ENABLE the topo map. I'm just not sure if that's possible on manufacturer installed systems. Assuming it is like older Nuvi systems (circa 2006), this tutorial shows the method:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/#nuvi

Newer nuvi systems have different menu options. From the settings menu you would choose MAP, scroll down the menu and choose MYMAPS. You would then find a menu similar to #5 in the tutorial above.

Gleamor

Quote from: Boyd on March 01, 2015, 09:07:33 AM
I have no idea what a "730N Garmin" is.

The reference is to the Uconnect 730n head unit that is being sold with new Chrysler products such as the Jeep.

Was going to insert a link here but apparently not allowed so google it  :)

I just took delivery of a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock Edition which also has the same unit. Would be nice to load topo maps directly on it I agree however I'm not finding anyone who has had success doing so. I do know that to OS and associated files are password protected. Effectively preventing me from digging around for the moment. But much like rules, passwords can and will be broken. It's only a 5 character password ill cut thru that in an hour using free tools found using google...just sayin.

For now I will rely on my lowrance for off road until I can verify a way to do otherwise

93ToyTruck

I found a few forum threads on the topic. The basic steps to update the preloaded map are:
Copy gmapprom.img to a \Garmin directory on a FAT32 USB drive.
Turn on the vehicle.
Go to the navigation screen.
Insert the USB drive into the vehicle.
It will recognize the update and prompt to update the unit.

I would try putting a gmapsupp.img in the Garmin directory and follow the same steps. I think gmapprom.img overwrites the preloaded map.

(Links to pirated software and tools removed)