GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Global Mapper updates

Started by Indrid Cold, February 28, 2015, 06:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

Global Mapper users, what version are you using? The current version is 16.1.

With Blue Marble Geographics acquiring Global Mapper, the price of updates is rising to a level that I'm not sure is sustainable to hobby map authors.

The full current version of ARCGIS is available for only US$100/year and I think that might be a more cost efficient route.

Any thoughts?

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-home

QuoteThe Exception

We ask that you use ArcGIS for Home Use only for personal, noncommercial projects.

Boyd

Quote from: Indrid Cold on February 28, 2015, 06:55:39 AMWith Blue Marble Geographics acquiring Global Mapper, the price of updates is rising to a level that I'm not sure is sustainable to hobby map authors.

I am still on Globalmapper 12. I agree, the price is really getting up there. For me, the good thing is that version 12 still does everything I need. Have not really kept up with all the changes, but the only things that looked interesting were some new scripting capabilities and the ability to record 3d flyovers.

I might upgrade someday, if I see a "must have" feature, but I think that would be years down the road at this point. I only use Windows for GIS/mapmaking and have always used the Mac for everything else. Just upgraded my old Windows Vista machine to a new desktop with Windows 7 Pro last fall. That machine and its current software will probably be good for another 7 or 8 years, like my last PC.

ArcGIS looks interesting, but one of my least favorite activities is learning complex new software. I have only just begun to explore all the possibilities of Globalmapper 12, not interested in switching to a new platform.

The "home use" restriction makes sense, and I have never charged anything for my maps. However, what if I make the switch to ArcGIS and become dependent on it. Then somebody offers to pay me a few bucks to make some specialized maps? Then I would be kind of screwed, because I'm dependent on their software and would have to pay thousands (?) of dollars for the commercial version just to do a one-off job for $100.

Also, isn't ArcGIS a subscription based software model? I really dislike that whole concept....

Seldom

Been a while since I've contributed, but my latest GM version is 14.  I share Boyd's lack of enthusiasm for new complex software.  Right now I'm getting into astrophotography and it's complicated enough.

Boyd

-Oz-

That is an awesome picture.  What camera/lens? 

I agree the software is getting extremely expensive especially then for what I (most of us?) do we don't need the super complicated GIS portions of the software.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Camera's a Canon 60Da DSLR (a 60D modded by Canon for astrophotography). Lens is a 4" refractor scope on a guided equatorial mount.  The DSLR's attached where the eyepiece would go.  The photo is a stack of 9 frames each at 7 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec, 120 sec, 240 sec, 480 sec, and 960 sec.  7 sec was needed for the brightest parts, 960 sec for the dimmest perimeter nebulosity.  Software is Pixinsight  which is at least as steep a learning curve as GM.

It ain't mapping, but it's what you do when you live someplace you can see the Milky Way most every dark night.  That's the Great Orion Nebula, by the way.  The bright part's a binocular object under urban skies.

frlmee

Quote from: Seldom on February 28, 2015, 05:16:21 PM
Been a while since I've contributed, but my latest GM version is 14.  I share Boyd's lack of enthusiasm for new complex software.  Right now I'm getting into astrophotography and it's complicated enough.

Nice photo of space, i love it.