News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo not showing up - only some features

Started by gaderrvin, January 28, 2015, 10:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaderrvin

Hi all -

First time user and forgive me if this has been covered.  I added the Wisconsin topo map to Base Camp and my Oregon 600.  The map is showing, but no contours, nothing like the screenshots showing on the download page. 

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?  Sorry if this has been asked and answered.  A luddite, technically challenged.

Many thanks,

Paul

Boyd

How does the map look in Basecamp? There's an old bug that still may be present however. What profile is set on your Oregon? Is there a profile named "recreational" or something similar? If so, try changing to that profile. If that profile is already selected, change to another and then switch back to recreational profile.

This fixed a similar problem in the past on my Oregon 400t and also the 450 series. Not sure whether it's different in the 600 series.

Also, just to confirm, go to the map setup menu and look at the list of all installed maps (map information?). Make sure that the WI topo is the ONLY map that is enabled. Maps have a draw order, and if you have more than one installed then it may be covering up your topo.

gaderrvin

Thanks Boyd.  Sorry, I now realize the contours are showing, but they don't look like 24K contours to me - very sparse. 

gaderrvin

I should say, that's on basecamp.  I'm sorry Boyd, I really am challenged with this stuff and so I should probably spend some time getting used to the unit.  I have several maps on basecamp and have added them to the GPS, and have disabled all of them on the unit but the witopo map, and in clicking "map," all I get is my current location and environs.  How do I pull up the witopo map once loaded on the unit?  :-[

Boyd

Not familiar with the Oregon 600. On my Montana 600 you would press Setup > Map > Select Map. You then get a list of all installed maps.  You may have to scroll the list down to see all maps that are installed. Make sure that the WI topo is the only one enabled.

Also try Setup > Map > Advanced Setup > Detail and choose most. When you return the to map screen, zoom in to at least 0.2 miles and see if the contours are shown.

It's also possible that you didn't send the whole map to the GPS, or that you are trying to view a location not covered by the map.

gaderrvin

OK, thanks Boyd.  My detail was set to normal, so I hit "most," hopefully if I can get the map up, that should cure the contour issue. 

Now, I can't seem to select that map.  My menu is slightly different from yours in that under the map menu rather than "select map" you have a "configure map" menu. There are several demo maps in addition to the ones I added.  I've disabled all the maps save the witopo map.  My profile is set to recreational. 

When I click "map" on the main page, I still get my local environs.  Putting in the coordinates for the area I'm looking for, I'm still getting just my local map....confused.  I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, will have to play, I guess. 

Thanks Boyd.

Boyd

I'm confused. What is your "Local map"? Are you in Wisconsin? Does the Wisconsin topo have coverage for the area you are in (you should be able to confirm this in Basecamp).

If, for example, you were in Missouri and wanted to view the Wisconsin topo on your GPS, you would go to the map settings and enable the basemap and the Wisconsin topo. Then you would zoom way out until you saw a whole state on the screen. Then drag the map up to Wisconsin and zoom back in.

Sorry, I can't really understand what the problem is. Spend a little time on this site, it should familiarize you with the Oregon 600 series:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com

gaderrvin

Boyd,

Sorry.  I've got it now, I think.  The area I was looking is simply fairly flat, so the contour lines do not show much structure of interest.  I compared another area with a screenshot I've seen, and it is fine. 

Thanks very much,

Paul