GPSFileDepot.com

NW USA Topo Map Missing Elevation Contours

Started by SpudRider, January 10, 2015, 10:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpudRider

I love the NW USA Topo map, but it is missing the elevation contour lines in the vicinity of Arco, Idaho.   :(  I have un-installed the map, and re-installed it, but I am always missing the contour lines surrounding Arco, Idaho.  I haven't noticed this problem in other areas of the map.  Is something wrong with my setup, or are the contour lines actually missing on the map?  Thanks for your help. :)

Spud :)

maps4gps

Is the border of the missing data along a N-S and/or E-W line?  With 10's of thousands of source files to process for a 48 state map, a file for that area might have been missed (as has been noted for hydro and transportation in other areas of that series).

Have you tried OZ's Idaho topo?

SpudRider

Quote from: maps4gps on January 11, 2015, 07:33:45 AM
Is the border of the missing data along a N-S and/or E-W line?  With 10's of thousands of source files to process for a 48 state map, a file for that area might have been missed (as has been noted for hydro and transportation in other areas of that series).

Have you tried OZ's Idaho topo?

Yes, the border of the missing data is a rectangle composed of N-S and E-W lines.

I do have the Idaho Topo map from this website.  Is that the OZ Idaho topo?  It is an excellent map, and it has the elevation contour data which is missing from the NW USA Topo map.

Spud :)

maps4gps

If top of map set info page says

Idaho Topo Map

Map InfoMap Information

Created By: -Oz-
Last Updated: October 17th, 2008 10:10am

Yes

SpudRider

Quote from: maps4gps on January 11, 2015, 08:04:03 AM
If top of map set info page says

Idaho Topo Map

Map InfoMap Information

Created By: -Oz-
Last Updated: October 17th, 2008 10:10am

Yes

Thank you for you help.  Yes, I have the Idaho Topo map created by Oz.  I am certainly grateful for all the good work and hard labor expended by Oz, John_M, and all the others who contributed these maps. :)

Is there a way to contact John_M, to let him know the elevation contours are missing from the Arco section of the North West USA Topo map?  If someone ever plans to undertake the considerable effort required to update this map, I would like to alert him to the missing data. :)

Boyd

Quote from: SpudRider on January 11, 2015, 03:08:01 PMIs there a way to contact John_M, to let him know the elevation contours are missing from the Arco section of the North West USA Topo map?

Here is John_M's profile.

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?action=profile;u=49

But I'm confused about the map you're using. This is what I find for "Northwest Topo" and the author is Moun10Bike. That map is not hosted by GPSFileDepot, but there is contact info on the site where it is hosted:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/412/

SpudRider

Quote from: Boyd on January 11, 2015, 05:18:59 PM
Quote from: SpudRider on January 11, 2015, 03:08:01 PMIs there a way to contact John_M, to let him know the elevation contours are missing from the Arco section of the North West USA Topo map?

Here is John_M's profile.

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?action=profile;u=49

But I'm confused about the map you're using. This is what I find for "Northwest Topo" and the author is Moun10Bike. That map is not hosted by GPSFileDepot, but there is contact info on the site where it is hosted:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/412/

This is a link to the map we are discussing.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/134/

Thanks for providing the contact information on John_M.  I don't think he checks in much, but  I have nothing to lose by sending him a personal message. ;)  Thank you for reminding me to download the maps by Moun10bike.  :)

maps4gps

I would consider him a one time map author; and one who seldom responded to user's post even while creating his map set.  On an earlier portion he posted he skipped an area because he thought the source data was defective because it was taking too long to process.

Half to 2/3's of the USGS 1:24000 scale printed topo quads which use an 80 foot contour interval are in Idaho.  Creating 4 times as many contours lines as is appropriate would take considerable more time, so he might have skipped the contour lines.

SpudRider

Quote from: maps4gps on January 12, 2015, 10:52:32 AM
I would consider him a one time map author; and one who seldom responded to user's post even while creating his map set.  On an earlier portion he posted he skipped an area because he thought the source data was defective because it was taking too long to process.

Half to 2/3's of the USGS 1:24000 scale printed topo quads which use an 80 foot contour interval are in Idaho.  Creating 4 times as many contours lines as is appropriate would take considerable more time, so he might have skipped the contour lines.

Thanks for the additional information; I won't expect a response from John_M. ;)  Fortunately, the Idaho Topo map created by Oz has all the contour data I need. :)  I downloaded the Nortwest Topo maps by Moun10bike, and they are superb.  :D

mithanbabag

he Steps
Trail data is in one map file and size isn't an issue with it.
Trail data map is copied into two files then programatically trimmed into east and west.
Topo data for east and west are kept in a separate files and merged into the respective trail map.
"Split Map to Files" is used on east and west. Output files are placed into separate directories.
[This is where I discovered that the Trim feature isn't perfect. It doesn't cut all lines on the trim boundary. The result is a few overlapping split files. The correct split file is large and full of data while the file with the extra data is small because it only contains a few lines. The split feature itself is cuts the same lines correctly but I end up with overlapping files]
Programatically copy the

______
عاطف رضا