News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading Maps - Problem

Started by mi77915, October 25, 2014, 02:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mi77915

Hi,
I just downloaded "Michigan Topo Map" to be used in Basecamp" (I just downloaded Basecamp last night) and with my new etrex 20. I installed as described and followed the tutorial, but I see no listing for this map anywhere in any of the Bascamp pull down menus. Am I missing something? Sorry if this question has been asked before.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

Boyd

There is an issue with registry keys caused by the installer on some of the older maps here. When Windows 7 64 bit was introduced, there was a minor change in how some keys are handled by the operating system which prevented the maps created with the old installer from appearing in Basecamp. The problem only affects computers running Windows 7 64 bit (maybe also Windows 8 now).

The fix has simply been to install a map that uses an updated installer, which fixes the registry key problem and should make these older maps also work. Try installing this map, quit Basecamp and start it up again and see if that fixes things. You don't need to actually use this map, just install it.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

If that doesn't help, run GMTK. It can diagnose and even automatically repair a number of map problems.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

mi77915

Boyd,

I installed the maps that you recommended to fix the registry issue. That worked !!!!!!! Thank you so much for your help.  :)

Tom

Boyd

jp_over

I'm having the same issue with a GA map. I'll post back after reboot.

jp_over

glendeni

I just noticed this thread after hearing that a new install of BaseCamp on a Windows 7 machine did not seem to recognize the installation of the map I provide, even though it works for me in my BaseCamp on a Windows 7 machine.  The installation program I'm using is nsis-2.46 - is that an "older" installer referenced?  Do you have a link describing this problem and how a newer installer might be used?

Jack

Boyd

There is no problem with NSIS itself. The problem was in the example NSIS script that was provided here on this site in the last part of this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/

The new script at the link provided doesn't have the problem. Note that the new script is dated Dec 2011, so the problem was fixed three years ago. You can compare the new script with yours to see if there are differences. There were some threads about this three years ago and you can probably find them if you do some searching, but I don't have a direct link.

If you already had maps installed on your Win 7 machine then you wouldn't have this problem because the needed key would already exist. Also, the problem didn't affect Windows 7 32 bit machines.

glendeni

Boyd

Thanks for those details.  My work was all done Sept-Dec 2012, after the forum discussions I found in Feb-Mar 2010 and using the "new" .nsi template.  So I'm going to begin a new thread on the Map Making Support forum to see what others with more knowledge than I might think about this.

Jack