New to GPSMAPEDIT

Started by wesleybvi, July 18, 2014, 03:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleybvi

Are there tutorial for GPSMAPEDIT in English other than that at

the geopainting site

would appreciate any link or guides to using gpsmapedit

Wes
I think you're holding that paper map upside down get a GPS and Find Your Way......................

Seldom

-Oz- has some useful information here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps/

in the combining data section.  If you have one or two specific questions somebody here might be able to answer them directly.  If you need a tutorial that covers everything, wade in.  The menus are pretty informative.

wesleybvi

Hi Sheldon

Hi I'm only creating routable driving maps, I hope you can understand these questions

Question 1
I don't think I understand levels.
Object properties says "All elements are extended to levels up to" for each property
What really does this mean.
My ocean is at level 4,

Question 2
I've seen samples of maps with lakes and rivers. When I create a forest with polygone. I only see an outline not a shaded area. Is this a problem?

Question 3.
I want to send locked maps to garmin nuvi 50 gps. What is the best software or combination of software to do this ?
I am thinking about purchasing cgpsmapper pro version

Thanks,

Wesley
I think you're holding that paper map upside down get a GPS and Find Your Way......................

popej

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 21, 2014, 02:01:55 PMI don't think I understand levels.
Actually these are layers. Most detailed layer is level 0, upper levels are less detailed. Extending objects up to level means to create copies of this object on successive layers. GPS displays only one layer at the time. depending on zoom value.

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 21, 2014, 02:01:55 PMWhen I create a forest with polygone. I only see an outline not a shaded area. Is this a problem?
No, it is a presentation in GPSMapEdit only. Press 'T' in GPSMapEdit to change presentation of polygons and see "View" menu for other options.

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 21, 2014, 02:01:55 PMI want to send locked maps to garmin nuvi 50 gps. What is the best software or combination of software to do this ?
Probably cgpsmapper is the only feasible option. You would need cgpsmapper Routable for maps with routing. I think cgpsmaper is not sold anymore but you can contact author.

wesleybvi

Thanks Pope,

Cgpsmapper is the only program that can probably do locking of map to device but what about the process of actually uploading the map file to the Garmin gps. How is that actually done and what are the best program for doing this.

Found these programs on a web. Which ones you think would be useful to learn and which would be best for handling the upload of file to gps device

1. Send map (dos version)
2. GPS Send Map
3. IMG2GPS by Marco Dipol
4. GPS MAP Manager
5. GMapTool
6. MapSetToolKit
7. Mapsource (garmin)

Wesley

-Oz-

MapSetTookit, load it into basemap and then have basemap push it to the GPS for you.  I believe mapsettoolkit will recognize cgpsmapper's locking.

Here is the step that covers loading it into basecamp and creating a setup file: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

wesleybvi

thanks for all the informataion guys,

Currently I don't have a copy cgpsmapper. An email to the author returned an autoresponder email that he would be back at the end of July.

I am basically looking to purchase the pro version of cgpsmapper "pro cgpsmapper". Does anyone have this version and can certainly tell me it does locking?

Wes

Seldom

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 24, 2014, 06:29:15 AM
I am basically looking to purchase the pro version of cgpsmapper "pro cgpsmapper". Does anyone have this version and can certainly tell me it does locking?

IIRC several years ago there was some discussion of limitations that Garmin was putting on locking.  I think it had to do with limits on 4 digit product IDs.  At that time cgpsmapper's author stated that he would no longer support locking.  He stopped distribution of his lockable map software at that time, and reduced the price of "cgpsmapper personal", a compiler that does routing but does not support locking and whose licensing prohibits sale of maps produced with it. 

Apparently something's changed if he's resumed selling locking compilers.

Your other alternative for locking compilers is Garmin, but they are very particular who they release them to, and the annual compiler license fee is pretty steep.

wesleybvi

Hi All,

If i can't lock my maps in the future is there anyway that I can identify if someone is using my intellectual property (my maps) that was originally created from my computer. Basically will there be some way of digitally tracing to say that a map was produced from my material? Even if it was slightly edited ?

*.img file or other

Wes

Boyd

One old cartographers trick was including some small but obvious errors in the map, like mis-spelled names.

wesleybvi

lol, Funny trick Boyd, If some one steals my *.img file can they convert it back into *.MP polish format or any other formats ?

Wes

Boyd

The pirates can crack just about anything. I doubt that the old style cgpsmapper locking would offer much security. Garmin has recently changed their copy protection scheme and is revising device firmware to automatically disable illegal map copies. Even so, they struggle to stay ahead of the pirates. There are a couple forums completely devoted to getting around copy protection of Garmin maps and other software.

But the main focus of the authors on this site (myself included) is offering free maps, so you are probably in the wrong place if you're looking for ways to protect a commercial product.

Seldom

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 27, 2014, 07:29:21 AM
lol, Funny trick Boyd, If some one steals my *.img file can they convert it back into *.MP polish format or any other formats ?

Unlocked .img files are ridiculously easy to convert to .mp.  The real question you have to ask yourself is if your work is pirated can you find the pirates and can you afford to sue them, ?

popej

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 21, 2014, 08:16:31 PM
Found these programs on a web. Which ones you think would be useful to learn and which would be best for handling the upload of file to gps device
You should use current Garmin tools: BaseCamp and Mapinstall. If you'd like to create a web service, you can look at Garmin Communicator Plugin and Garmin Communicator Plugin API.

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 24, 2014, 06:29:15 AMDoes anyone have this version and can certainly tell me it does locking?
I'm using cGPSmapper Routable for commercial projects. It does create locked maps and include tools for creating unlock keys, that bind maps to GPS or SD card. See manual for details:
http://cgpsmapper.com/manual.htm

Quote from: wesleybvi on July 27, 2014, 07:29:21 AM
If some one steals my *.img file can they convert it back into *.MP polish format or any other formats ?
If you use cgpsmapper, then the answer is yes, most data can be retrieved form img. You can make it a bit more difficult with quasi-NT format or some additional protections.

wesleybvi

Quote from: popej on July 27, 2014, 07:29:21 AM
If you use cgpsmapper, then the answer is yes, most data can be retrieved form img. You can make it a bit more difficult with quasi-NT format or some additional protections.

Can anyone tell me a little more about Quasi-NT or NT format. I googled the thing but still not completely clear.