GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Puzzling BaseCamp Map or Software Anomaly

Started by Kazoo, August 01, 2013, 08:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazoo

Using the latest version of BaseCamp and City Navigator North America NT on a nuvi 1350 that has the latest software and map updates, I have encountered a frustrating error that I do not understand.

When attempting to create a route up Hwy 37 (Cassier Highway) in BC, in one leg of the route, Meziadin Junction to Dease Lake, which is approximately 165 miles, BaseCamp insists on backtracking and making a huge 1377 mile loop to get from the one waypoint to the next.

This first appeared in a very long route that passed through that area. By inspecting the turn-by-turn data I narrowed it down to that portion of the route. Experimenting with various combinations of waypoints passing that way always resulted the same behavior.

I do not think I am doing anything wrong but that is a possibility, of course. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

If someone wants to try to duplicate the anomaly described, the problem occurs between these waypoints.

Meziadin Junction, BC: N56 06.039 W129 18.439
Dease Lake, BC: N58 26.325 W129 59.350

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might be able to provide.

Indrid Cold

You might have better luck on Garmin's forum where the BaseCamp developers reside.

Seldom

You don't say what OS you are using, Mac and Win are different, so you'll need to select the appropriate on from this starting point.

My hunch is it's a BaseCamp bug.  I've noticed that if I try some long routes on my own maps, they work correctly in MapSource but not in BaseCamp.  If you are running Windows, and have (or get) a copy of MapSource, it would strengthen your argument to show that the route works correctly in one but not the other.

Kazoo

Quote from: Indrid Cold on August 01, 2013, 09:38:21 AM
You might have better luck on Garmin's forum where the BaseCamp developers reside.
Thanks, Indrid and also thanks for moving my post to the correct forum.

Kazoo

Quote from: Seldom on August 01, 2013, 11:19:56 AM
You don't say what OS you are using, Mac and Win are different, so you'll need to select the appropriate on from ... this starting point.

...If you are running Windows, and have (or get) a copy of MapSource, it would strengthen your argument to show that the route works correctly in one but not the other.
Seldom, thank you for the link. I suspect your hunch is right. Your suggestion of also testing it in MapSource makes sense. Unfortunately, the only City Navigator maps I have are on my nuvi 1350 and, though BaseCamp sees them, MapSource does not.

I will mosey on over to Garmin's forums and see what I can learn over there.

popej

Quote from: Seldom on August 01, 2013, 11:19:56 AMMy hunch is it's a BaseCamp bug.  I've noticed that if I try some long routes on my own maps, they work correctly in MapSource but not in BaseCamp.
It is not a bug, it is a feature  >:(

With nuvi models 2012 Garmin introduced new routing algorithms which are now ported to BaseCamp. Algorithms prefer speed of calculations over route quality. Now the long distance routing is calculated only on class 4 roads. If you'd like to have compatible routing on your maps, you need to create good network of class 4 roads.

I think current City Navigator maps are tweaked appropriately so there shouldn't be much visible problems but still there are some.

Kazoo

OK, this is embarrassing!

Posting my quandary over on Garmin's BaseCamp forum, as suggested by Indrid and Seldom, I quickly got the answer. And, it hurt!

In the Route>Options>Road Type Avoidance, avoiding unpaved roads was the default setting. Simply unchecking that option made everything happy on Hwy 37 in BC and here behind the keyboard on my little 'puter.

If it wasn't for y'all, I'd still be fumbling around and frustrated.

Indrid Cold