GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map Segment Overlap Errors

Started by el69564, July 30, 2013, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el69564

When I Use JaVaWa, it identifies 2 maps that have errors that can not be repaired. Co and Wy
have overlapping map segments with Utah. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Does it mean that I just can not have a mapset that includes the 3 maps - ie, separate mapsets for Utah vs Co & Wy. Thank you!

maps4gps

If you are referring to my mapsets for those three states - there is no 'overlap error'.
I create rectangular quads.  Where a quad contains data from more than one state, it is included in the mapset for each appropriate state.  The quad is named the same and contains exactly the same data.

The only 'issue' I have observed is that MapSource only assigned the quad to one of the states when it sent the data to the GPSr; when that state is disable, the quad will not display even if the other state(s) it is in are enabled.  I started doing it this way 5 1/2 years ago and I do not recall anyone saying it caused them a problem.   I expect it works the same way in BaseCamp / MapInstall; however Garmin does change the way their software works that occasionally causes issues. 

Why and what are you using JaVaWa for? 

Why not just send the data to your GPSr and let us know if you think there is an issue; and since you posted if there are none.

Enjoy

el69564

I was using JaVaWa to xfer maps from an old computer to a new computer - see topic "Reinstalling Mapsource on a new computer" in this forum last night. JaVaWa evidently compares one downlaoded map on the computer to another. Below is a sample of the error (uncorrectable) messages I was getting. I may not have all the terms and jargon correct, as this stuff is all relatively new to me-just trying to transfer all my maps over to a new computer.
91833466: Bluff (e) (88109371.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833468: Blanding (e) (88109375.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833459: La Sal (e) (88109381.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833460: Moab (e) (88109385.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833452: Westwater (e) (88109391.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833453: Seep Ridge (e) (88109395.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833734: Vernal (e) (88109401.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11)
   91833736: Dutch John (e) (88109405.img) (segment code confict with uttopo11

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on July 30, 2013, 03:51:10 PM
The only 'issue' I have observed is that MapSource only assigned the quad to one of the states when it sent the data to the GPSr; when that state is disable, the quad will not display even if the other state(s) it is in are enabled.  I started doing it this way 5 1/2 years ago and I do not recall anyone saying it caused them a problem.   I expect it works the same way in BaseCamp / MapInstall; however Garmin does change the way their software works that occasionally causes issues. 

I'm not sure its MS or MapInstall that are doing this,  maps4gps, have you actually counted how many map segments get to the GPSr?  I thought it was the device that doesn't like the name overlap. 

It's pretty much the problem discussed here.  I touch on the use of JaVaWa GMTK, as a diagnostic at the bottom.

popej

Mapsource controls segments ID when sending img for device and silently removes duplicates. But since in this case these are exactly the same tiles, only assigned to other map, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you prepare img for device separately for every map, then you will have duplicates. In this case GPS will ignore duplicates. Again, no problem if these are the same tiles.

If you really get a problem with duplicated ID, for example with maps from different mappers, then you can correct problem with GMapTool, it has function to change map ID inside img prepared for GPS.

el69564

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Thinking back when I did try to put all the maps in question onto the same card, I did hit a problem in that the topos did not work - I now assume that the problem was the overlapping segments. So, trying to absorb all this as a newbie, my options are to avoid combining the maps in question on the same card;  or possibly somehow correcting the problem with gmaptool - correct? Any other options?  Thanks! 

Boyd

JaVaWa also complains about my maps because i have various versions of work-in-progress on my computer. I have installed these on the GPS and have not seen any problems.

I would not assume that this is related to the problem you describe. Make sure you haven't exceeded the maximum number of map segments for your device. Older models like the 60csx or eTrex Vista only allow about 2000 segments. Newer models allow 4000. There are several other threads here on this topic.

maps4gps

'Any other options?'   ;) another new computer and/or a Garmin mapset  :)

Considering:
1. I did not have a problem when I created the mapset(s) and was cross-state checking the for issues.  They have work fine on my OR300, both in panning to a state boundary area and when physically being at such locations.
2.  Seldom, as posted in your other thread, used his time to download the files, and did not observe your problem.
3.  Popej posted that there were no problems for him in similar situations.
4.  Boyd later posted he has not seen any problems on his GPSrs.

Perhaps you are having an issue because of transferring the files from your old computer to the new one.  It would have been best to have run the self-installing (.exe) file for each state (as Garmin probably designed the process).

Consider running the uninstall program for each mapset (assuming they were also transferred to the new computer).  Then install each mapset using its self-installing .exe file (downloading from GPSFileDepot if you do not have a copy of it from when it was installed on your older computer). 
If you still have an issue, it's likely a unique situation or possibly due to a change Garmin has recently made.

PS.  If your new machine is 64-bit, you will first need to install a mapset which uses a 32-bit installer (as mentioned on the mapset's webpage).

el69564

Boyd/maps4gps - again thanks. Boyd - I do have an older etrex vista HCx - does this have the 2000 segment limitation? How does one determine how many total map segments I have
created/downloaded to the GPS?
Maps4gps - as soon as I have the time, I will take your suggestion and uninstall/reinstall all mapsets to see what happens - thanks!!

maps4gps

QuoteI'm not sure its MS or MapInstall that are doing this,  maps4gps, have you actually counted how many map segments get to the GPSr?

No.  I observed this 5 years ago by comparing the size of the gmapsupp.img file with what MapSource listed as the total for the selected .img files.   When the same segments were also selected from an adjacent mapset the gmapsupp.img file was smaller than the total in MapSource by about the total size of the duplicate segments.  I interpreted this to mean that only one copy of the segments ware being included in the gmapsupp.img file - I never did any testing to see if the was from the first or last mapset or random.

I read popej comment of 'Mapsource controls segments ID when sending img for device and silently removes duplicates.' to be a similar finding.

Boyd

If you go into Mapsource and select all the portions of the different maps - as though you were going to send them all to your eTrex again - you will see the total number of segments listed on the Maps tab to the left of the screen.

Yes, your old eTrex tops out at 2025 segments total. If you go beyond that, inconsistent things will happen depending on the specific maps chosen. But basically, you will not be able to select all or some of the installed maps on the GPS.