GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Recommendations for new Computer Operating System?

Started by eaparks, April 05, 2013, 07:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

I too would suggest an SSD for the program drive.  128 GB is usually enough and good ones are less than $100.  The modern ones are quite fast compared to a mechanical drive.

Be careful looked at processors as Intel has a huge range within the i5 and i7 designations. i7s are basically more core or threads and only useful if what you are doing uses all of those extra threads.  Extra RAM is also only useful if you use it...

I did an i5-3570k for my last home build and have been very pleased with the performance.

eaparks

Looks like I need to check into getting a 128 Gb SSD, too.

Re90, with the hugh range of processors designated as i5 or i7 that you referred to what should I be looking for in a specific i5 or i7 processor besides dual core or quad cord?

Thanks

Boyd

Red90

Quote from: eaparks on April 08, 2013, 04:27:46 PM
Looks like I need to check into getting a 128 Gb SSD, too.

Re90, with the hugh range of processors designated as i5 or i7 that you referred to what should I be looking for in a specific i5 or i7 processor besides dual core or quad cord?

Thanks
It depends how much you want to spend and what types of things you are doing.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=desktop

Almost all the current i5s are 4 core. Most of the i7s are 4 core as well but are threaded to make them act like 8 cores.  This is useful for some things like video editing. It does nothing for things like games.

Boyd

Interesting to see that Microsoft is addressing user complaints about Windows 8 on traditional desktop systems.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bumpy-start-microsoft-rethinks-windows-061356804.html

I find it hard to believe that this wasn't already a feature of Windows 8...

Quoteaccording to these reports, Microsoft will allow Windows users to configure their systems so they start on the traditional-looking Windows desktop when they start their systems. Microsoft didn't allow that initially, steering all users to the new tile interface, which is best suited for people running systems with touch screens.

Red90

The option was in the betas and removed for the public release.  There are lots of free programs that bring back the start menu and are much better than what Microsoft ever did.