GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Maps over-write on card???

Started by RMG, March 27, 2013, 07:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMG

First of all, thanks to GPS File Depot for the great resource!  I followed your tutorials and had zero issues installing a map to BaseCamp, and then to a microSD, and finally into my eTrex 30.  All went just as described in the tutorials and the map functions perfectly.

Now the issue.  I tried installing additional maps to my 8G ScanDisk card and each map I download over-writes the last map so in the end I just have one map, not three as I have tried to install.

I formatted the card to, FAT32 to start with as suggested in one of threads in here.

Ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Randy in Oregon

Boyd

Look in the Garmin folder on the card. What file(s) do you see there? Is there just one file named gmapsupp.img? If so, change the name to something descriptive, like oregontopo.img. Now send another map and repeat as needed. Your eTrex can use multiple map files as long as the filenames have the .img extension. Older devices only recognize a single file named gmapsupp.img.

Actually, if you place the card in the eTrex when you send I believe newer versions of MapInstall will automatically do this for you. However if the card is just in a reader then the software has no way to know whether you're using an old or new style GPS.

RMG

Thank you sir, that worked perfectly and all three maps now show in my eTrex!

One more question please.  In the second part of your reply above you mentioned downloading through the eTrex.  My question is, if I download through the device will the onboard memory fill-up first then switch over to the card, or will each storage space show separately and be selectable?

Thanks again, still learning the "ropes" as this is my first GPS.

Randy

Boyd

Honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask about MapInstall because I don't use it myself. I use Garmin's older, discontinued program, Mapsource to manage maps. I have read about lots of bugs with MapInstall and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I gather that one of the issues is that it may not let you choose between a memory card and the devices internal memory. Someone else here can probably help with that. I can tell you however that there's a file on your GPS called GarminDevice.xml that describes the capabilities of your eTrex and what files it can accept. That is how the software knows what to name the file.

With the old software (Mapsource) you specifically choose either the card or GPS when sending a map. Not sure if current versions of MapInstall give you this option.

RMG