GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Google maps

Started by nowacc, January 29, 2013, 06:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowacc

I was wondering about using the downlaoded maps from google earth and downloading a custom map ( JPG image ) and having it as a tranparent layer onto the garmin map 62s. The files are saved in the Garmin  custom maps folder. On some of the gps , you can turn this custom map folder/layer on/off. Can you do this with a Map 62. The custom map shows on the map page no matter which map I have visiable. This is really neat to have but when out in the field it could be nice to be able to turn this feature off.

Boyd

The custom maps menu setting is global. ALL custom maps are either on or off. They are raster images and cannot be transparent. So they will display like a background image, and if you turn on a traditional garmin (vector based) map, it will shop ON TOP OF the custom map.

So basically it is the opposite of what you say you want. But you can certainly turn it off if you want.

Indrid Cold

If you get a Birdseye subscription you will have separate control between the BirdsEye layer and the Garmin Custom Maps layers. This is pretty much the way way garmin gas designed their device software to work.

nowacc

Thanks for the replys, I understand that the custom maps are either on or off. I was wondering if anyone knew how to turn the custom maps on or off on a Garmin Map 62s. I think I'm not doing it correctly on the GPS itself. Is it possiable?
Thanks for the info..

Boyd

I don't have a 62s, but in the Map Setup menu there should be an item called Map Information or something similar. This will list all the maps that are installed on the device. You may need to scroll the list to see everything.

Custom maps should appear as an item and there should be a checkbox next to it. If you un-check the box then you can turn the custom maps off. Or at least this is how it works on my Oregon and Montana.

Seldom

Menu>Setup Map>Select Maps>Enable Custom Map should do it.

nowacc

With the Birds Eye photos, how many different area maps can you make and keep? I would assume/hope that it all depends on the size of the MicroSD card and the level of quality of the photos. If I would get a 16 gb card I could put a corner of a state in a series of different maps areas and keep it even after the subscription expires?

Boyd

Have had subscriptions for my Oregon and Montana and both have expired but I can still use the imagery. But you need to understand how it works. You don't need a subscription to use Birdseye on your computer, so that will continue to work with no problem. But you cannot SEND the imagery to a GPS unless it has an active subscription. When you send the files to the GPS, an unlock code is embedded in them telling the device that it is authorized to display the imagery.

So you need to save these files - the ones that have been sent to the authorized GPS - if you want to use them after the subscription expires. So, in your example, if you had a 16GB card full of Birdseye, it would continue working after the subscription expired. But to play it safe, you should copy all the files from that card to a folder on your computer.

I did some quick calculations a couple years ago and came up with a rough number of 2.56MB storage space required for one square mile of the highest quality imagery. That works out to 390 square miles per gigabyte so your 16GB card would hold about 6,000 square miles. Depends on which state you are in and how big of a corner you want.  ;)

According to what I've read, the only limitation is the size of your memory card. And there is no limit to how much you can download. I have read that people used 32GB cards sucessfully but I have only tried 16GB. But there is a major caveat; with my 16GB card loaded full of Birdseye, it took FOREVER for both my Oregon and Montana to start up. Evidently it has to read through all the files at startup. I found this really unacceptable. For example, if your GPS crashes and you have to restart, you might have to wait a minute or more.

I think it makes more sense to only load the small areas that you plan to use for an outing and not keep everything on a big card. But that's just me, try for yourself and see what you think.

maps4gps

Do not forget the time it will take to download all that data.
About a year ago there were some posts about Garmin having put a limit on the amount of Birdseye that could be download per day because their server was being overload.

Boyd

True, it can be frustrating. But a year is a long time and $30 is pretty reasonable. BTW, be sure to register your GPS at Garmin if you haven't already done so. They should e-mail you a coupon for a 10% discount that can be used with Birdseye to lower the price to $27. :)

strjohn

nowacc I like this idea , it is really cool idea .