GPSFileDepot.com

How to get started ? I picked up a used eTrex Vista C

Started by Zandar, January 07, 2012, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zandar

Hello All !

I have a slightly used Garmin eTrex Vista C, and I have been trying to make sense of loading maps, etc.  I have been able to load the Yosemite map, from this site, thanks, and I am trying to find maps around my area.

I live in Arroyo Grande, Ca. and I would like to find road/trail maps for this area.  Thoughts?

How do I find other Vista "C" users, issues on this site?

Z.

babj615

Looks like you have only 24mb of internal memory for maps...

I would run Garmin WebUpdater and make sure you have the most recent firmware installed.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=579

Then install MapSource and/or BaseCamp, learn to use them, download some California maps from GPSFileDepot (of course) and install the areas you need to your unit with MapSource.

Some great Tutorials are available right here!

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Zandar

Thanks,

I figured out how to select specific map sections from the Catop11 map that would fit on my Vista "C", and I am now learning to use my GPS.

Is it true that basecamp won't copy sections of the Ca Topo?  I can only seem to get this done when using Mapsource.

Z.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Zandar on January 08, 2012, 08:41:11 PM
Is it true that basecamp won't copy sections of the Ca Topo?  I can only seem to get this done when using Mapsource.
are you using the California TOPO 2011?

maps4gps

'Is it true ...'  I have never heard anything like that before. Where did you hear/read that?

Zandar

I am using Topo California 2011...

Since I am just getting my feet wet, and trying to learn the software I was able to pick small sections and send this map "set" to my GPS with Mapsource.

I then tried to do the same thing in Basecamp, and couldn't see how to select the sections.  I did see the section grids, but I wasn't able to pick the smaller set, as my GPS is limited to 24 mb of storage.

Tips?

Z.

Zandar

I was able to solve my issue. how to load smaller sections of the Ca Topo 2011.

I had to run "mapinstall", and from there choose the Ca Topo 2011 map, and at this point I was able to select the sections I wanted, and it told me total map size, so I knew at what point I would hit my max of 24 MB threshold.

So, all solved.

Thanks everyone,
Z.

Indrid Cold

There is a tutorial on this, check the tutorial link at the top of the page