GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map won't display in Garmin nuvi 205W

Started by gdane, March 01, 2010, 09:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdane

When the Florida topo map would transfer to the Garmin but not display I thought the internal memory might be full so I bought a SD card for it. Have a successful MapSource transfer to the card
and it shows when connected to the computer but it still will not display. The US map is the only one that displays and it doesn't have the check mark by it in the map information, the Florida topo is checked. I'd greatly appreciate any help in getting the Florida map to display.

-Oz-

This may seem silly but: are you zoomed in enough and are you looking at an area you loaded from florida?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

gdane

Oh I wish I knew !! The pre loaded US map displays even thou there's no check mark in the "map info" for it to load. I can zoom in and locate the Everglades area but I can't tell if it's from the US map or the Florida map that I loaded. Do I have to zoom into the US map to get to the loaded Florida map ? I had expected the Florida topo to display as a separate map. Can the Florida map be layered under the US map ? If this is the case is there any way to get just the Florida map to display by itself ? I sure appreciate your help.

-Oz-

well; Florida would display and probably look just like the regular map until you got close enough to see the contour lines.

both have roads and points of interest but only the topo will have contour lines.  The other option to to go to the border of Florida and see if the map "disappears"
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Oz could tell you at what zoom level the mapsets will change between the built-in base map and the Florida topo map - a least if he built it to function that way.
Doesn't the Nuvi allow you to disable/hide the built-in base map?
Even with a 5 foot contour interval, it is going to be hard to find a contour line in the Everglades.

-Oz-

my normal are you'll see the most in depth contour lines at 800ft; then the medium at 0.5mi and then the large ones at 3mi I think.

Yea, go to a "hill"
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I have a nuvi 205 and a couple others. Haven't looked at the map in question, but with detail set to "most" you will see ALL map details until you zoom out farther than 1.2, or possible 2 miles.

This series has the worldwide routable DEM basemap. It normally doesn't show with City Navigator enabled until you zoom out pretty far - like 20 miles - and then it will add DEM shading to the map. If you turn off City Navigator you will see the basemap, but again I think you have to zoom way out before the DEM shading kicks in. There is no control to turn the basemap off, but I suppose you could delete the gmapbmap.img file. Not sure if this would cause some other bad thing to happen.  :o