GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Dictionary problem with leveling - EndLevel

Started by hntr, October 19, 2009, 04:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hntr

I am having a problem with leveling on one of my maps.

I want all my polygons with mp_type of 0x2e and 0x2f to show up at a further in zoom level than level=19, but on the GPS the polygons are loading at all levels.  These are the only polygons on the map - and the only data on the map.

I believe my problem lies within the dictionary header but have spent all day trying to figure out where.  Can anybody take a look at the attached dictionary and try to steer me in the right direction?

The only thing I can think of now is it might be because its a transparent map???

Seldom

I just checked the cgpsmapper manual, and neither 0x2e and 0x2f are listed as polygon types.  Do you know something I don't?  Also, the dictionary examples in the manual don't show a bitmask for Level0, as you have done, but do show one for Level4.

By the way, Christmas in October.  cgpsmapper version 0099 just got posted yesterday.  It comes with a new manual.

hntr

Ooh, new manual!  Hope it has more examples.  Thank you!

I guess I do know something you don't know if you don't know about custom types.  I have defined custom types for these mp_types

yeah, you don't need to define the bitmap for level0, all data is displayed by default.  So I guess I don't need that, but that can't be the problem.

Guess I'll try going back to my 4 level scheme that I know works and do a test run with that today

hntr

just tried my level scheme that worked on a similar map with more data, but it didn't work  ???

Seldom

I'm new to custom types, but from what I understood from reading the manual you could customize the appearance of a specific type, but not create a new type.

In other words, I understand you can make polygon type 0x28 (ocean) look like it has red fish in it, but you couldn'd create polygon type 0x2e and have it mean anything.  I assumed that the hex types meanings were defined by the hardware.

If you can point me to a source that can get around this, I'd appreciate it.

hntr

you must have misunderstood.  I have used these types successfully on other maps.

Certain hex values are available for repurposing (not defined by default on Garmin GPSr). 

See the table on page 3 of this manual

http://www.cgpsmapper.com/download/Creating%20custom%20types%20to%20represent%20elevation%20data.pdf

Seldom

hntr

It looks like your EndLevel=3 might be the problem as that is undefined.

Changed to EndLevel=2 and the preview in MapSource works according to the correct levels but on the GPS it still loads on any zoom.  I'm pretty sure I tried that before (I changed endlevel to 0, 1, & 2) with no success.

Any ideas given that information?

hntr

That new setup didn't work, good idea though.  I see what you were doing.  Here is what I have:

Levels=4
Level0=23
Level1=21
Level2=19
Level3=18
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1
Zoom2=2
Zoom3=3

Transparent=Y
[END-IMG ID]

[DICTIONARY]
EndLevel=2

Note:  I am using cpreview from the command line and a mypv.mp file

I am going to try it on some different data.

hntr

I tried it with Transparent=N and it works fine, so can somebody explain that?

maps4gps

I have never used the dictionary method, however I do see a number of issues.
1.  Your file has 3 levels (0,1,2) - The highest is used to indicate where a mapset is no longer shown and is 'replaced' by the built-in basemap.
2.  As the cgpsmapper manual indicates - level0 is not used in the dictionary file as everything is normally displayed at the most detailed defined level.  Perhaps cgpsmapper does not look at the level 'number' but simply assumes the first entry is the next level above '0'.
3.  Level2 in the dictionary should be all '0's - as this is the basemap level.  Your two polygon types may not have a '1' at your 'leve1' and 'level2' entries, but perhaps having something with '1' here is confusing cgpsmapper.  As may the extra entry (0,1,2 - where only 1,2 is 'needed).
4.  You have 'Zoom0=0' etc.; as in the cgpsmapper manual.  The 'Getting started with GM8 and cgpsmapper' uses Zoom0=1, Zoom1=2, etc., and GM creates .mp files this way.  I have always used 0=1 etc without a problem.

----
Some things using overlay(transparency=y) work somewhat differently.  I believe the contour overlay mapset I did last Fall did kept showing the major contour lines at more zoomed out levels than they were supposed to.  Perhaps if the mapset is 'overlay' it ignores not showing at the basemap level and above.  I believe I 'fixed' this by including another level between the last level of data and the basemap level (level2=20 and level3=19 for your example) with no data defined at this level.  Or maybe this was for use in gpsmapedit.  I will revisit this shortly as the new overlay contour mapset is about to be processed to .mp and .img files.
I also remember that basemap 'hide or show' had some effect on a mapset, but do not now remember if it was the overlay contours.

hntr

I just noticed something that could provide some insight.  On my GPSr, the scale says 'basemap' at the furthest out zoom - 500mi scale.  As I zoom in it continues to say basemap until the zoom scale of 3mi where it switches to 'overzoom' 

I checked my GPS map detail setting and it is still at 'Normal'

Thanks for the input maps4gps.  I implemented all the changes you mentioned, but it resulted in the map not even showing up in MapSource.  Could of been something I messed up, maybe you'll have the same thing happen during your experimentation.

???

hntr

Just reading through the cgps manual AGAIN this morning. 

Maybe I will try Transparent=S

maps4gps

That is one of the problems/issues in overlay/transparency maps - there is nothing to show up in MapSource at overview scales (except quad boundaries).  You need to zoom in until the actual data begins to show (which is not much help if the overlay consists of contour lines).

What program are you using to create the .mp file(s)?
Could you attach a portion of the an .mp with a 2 or 3 small polygon features?

I believe the 'overzoom' is refering to zooming-in more than the resolution of the mapset; therefore 'empty magnification'.

hntr

Transparent=S doesn't help

I went back to a very basic img header:

[IMG ID]
ID=
Name=
DrawPriority=31
LBLcoding=6
Codepage=0
Marine=N
Elevation=f
Preprocess=F