News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Importing .shp file with specific attributes

Started by dleblanc2546, July 01, 2015, 03:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dleblanc2546

Hello all.

I am trying to figure out how to import shape files exported from ArcMap 10.2 into GPSMapEdit v6.0 with specifically assigned attributes predefined in my map from ArcMap to be selected after I import them into the map editor.  I.E., all my road polylines have attributes, like speed limit, one way, road name, assigned in ArcMap but do not select the right attributes in the MapEdit program after I import them.   It seems to be something simple but I still can't get it to work for me.

Anyone have any insight or experienced a similar problem?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

popej

Is it GPSMapEdit 6.0?

Anyway, when importing shp, at step 3 there is button "Assign More Attributes" (or "Edit mappings" in case of MapEdit++), where you can bind shp attribute to mp attribute.

dleblanc2546

I tried binding the attributes using this function but they still are not being selected for any of the feature classes I am doing this too.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  I've tried changing the specific attribute names in my ArcMap file so that they match the ones I can bind them to in GPSMapEdit but it still has failed every time no matter how I label the attributes before exporting them.  It's rather frustrating honestly.

popej

I have never used all this bindings, but simple test goes correctly:

dleblanc2546

So do the check mark boxes use a 0 or 1 as for yes or no to assign whether these attributes are checked or not?

popej

Check boxes only allow to remove binding. To bind attribute click on attribute name next to check box and then on source field name.

dleblanc2546

I understand that but here is my dilemma...

I first go through and import a shapefile I want to use into MapEdit, shown in Import1.PNG.

But after I finish the import process and check the properties both the check boxes I want to be checked are still not marked, shown in Import2.PNG & Import3.PNG.

I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong in the process so that the attributes I'm trying to assign are checked off so I don't have to go through every single road and do it manually.

popej

Maybe try numeric values 0 and 1 for these attributes?

dleblanc2546

I tried reassigning the yes or no values with numeric ones but still no dice...

Does anyone know if there is an online manual for GPSMapEdit?  I tried googling it but came up with a lot of random other GPS program PDF manuals but not the one I'm looking for.

Seldom

This manual is translated from Russian by Google Translate.
There's a link to more complete manual at the bottom.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gps-lib.ru%2Fprogs%2Fmapedit.htm