News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

BaseCamp, Oregon 450, and GPSFileDepot maps

Started by BruceC2105, May 20, 2015, 07:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceC2105

Hello,

I've looked through the forums, possibly not deeply enough, and have not found an answer to my problem. Here it is: I'd the topographic map information I've downloaded onto the Garmin 450 to display in BaseCamp. I'm running the latest version of BaseCamp on Mac OS X 10.9 and 10.10.

The file I have is in impai format. I believe it is the Wisconsin Topo map. I'm new to this and might not be giving useful information.

Topographic information shows up on the GPS, and it seems the Wisconsin Topo map is installed, but I just get a message in BaseCamp saying "No detailed maps found". The only maps that it lists is the Global Map and the Worldwide Automotive DEM Basemap.

How can I show the Wisconsin Topo map in Basecamp?

Best wishes,
Bruce

Boyd

Is this the map you're using?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/150/

What is "impai format"? I have never heard of this before. If you downloaded the Mac version, you should be able extract a compressed .gmapi file. Double-clicking that file should launch Garmin Mapmanager and ask if you want to install the map. After doing so, it should be available to view in Basecamp.

How did you install the map on your Oregon? I can't understand how that was possible if the map didn't work in Basecamp.

BruceC2105

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I did get the file extension wrong. It is gmapi. And you were correct about the map I tried to view in BaseCamp. I used Garmin MapInstall and/or Garmin MapManager to install the map. I was trying lots of things and didn't keep track of which one installed the map onto my GPS.

I'm wondering why the topo information doesn't show up in BaseCamp. Is is a 32 bit/64 bit thing?

Bruce

Boyd

The "32/64 bit thing" is irrelevant on the Mac. That was a problem with the Windows registry and installer file and not the map itself. There is no installer for the Mac, MapManager handles everything.

So I don't really understand what could be going on if you don't see the map listed in the Basecamp dropdown menu. Can you confirm that it really isn't there? if so, try running MapManager and see if it is listed there. You could delete it and re-install to see if that fixes things.

My only other suggestion would be to reinstall Basecamp. There have been some other odd problems reported here that a re-installation fixed.

Download here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

There could be a problem with the map itself, or the way the author converted it for the Mac. However, if that were the case, then it probably wouldn't work on the Oregon.

Boyd

Also, for troubleshooting, install GMTK. It will report any problems it finds with your installed maps and may be able to correct them.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

BruceC2105

Hi Boyd,

I deleted and re-installed BaseCamp and the WI topo map does show up in the list now. Thanks for the suggestion. And I'll check out the utility you suggested too.

I appreciate your help.
Brucer

Boyd

Cool, glad that it works now. I wonder why this happens on the Mac?