GPSFileDepot.com

Missouri POI Map Compass Navigation Problem with Garmin GPSmap 64s and 62s

Started by missourihiker12, March 02, 2015, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

missourihiker12

Hi,

I have a garmin GPSmap 64s and I have been having problems getting the compass to work properly while using the gpsfile depot maps on my gps. I have been using the "My Trails-High Quality Trail and POI Maps Map" for Missouri and also the "Missouri Topo Map."

While these maps are installed my compass on my device routinely locks into the wrong direction. This occurs even after re-calibrating the compass.

I have had the same issue with my previous GPSmap 62s and have also spoken to another person with the garmin gpsmap 62 who reported the same problem. I spoke to garmin tech support numerous times and they said the bottom line is that they do not fix problems for non-garmin products.

Does anyone know why this compass problem is occurring and or a solution? I would really like to have the trail maps on my device as they are extremely useful but it is also very problematic for me if the compass is not working properly when navigating to a point.

Boyd

Might be related to this: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=3862.0

Evidently a firmware bug that Garmin doesn't want to fix since, as they told you, they don't support third party maps....

missourihiker12

Thank you for sharing. That does indeed sound like the same issue. I will try emailing garmin again to see if there is any possibility of getting them to look at it again. I guess my only other option is to purchase the garmin maps. Unfortunately these do not have any trail maps for Missouri though.

mike06

My question is if you deselect all the non Garmin maps and use the 100K topo that is installed in memory does the problem still exist?