GPSFileDepot.com

Using gpsfiledepot maps on a Mac with Basecamp?

Started by ADKGuy, January 31, 2015, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADKGuy

Hi,

I just picked up a Garmin eTrex 20.  I'm trying to get the maps into Basecamp.

The tutorial says: For Mac download the mac version, extract it and double click the .gmapi file. Map Manager will then install the map for you."

So, I download the map. It was a .tar file. I extracted it, but it gave me a gmapi folder loaded with subfolders, not a .gmapi file. I have Basecamp installed, not sure what Map Manager is.

How do I get the maps into Basecamp?

Thanks.

Boyd

That is what happens if you do not install basecamp first, or if there is a problem with the basecamp installation. ".gmapi files" are actually folders. The Mac uses something called "packages" for software installation. Packages are just folders that the Finder displays as a file. But if you have not installed the software that uses the package, they will appear as folders.

When you install Basecamp, it should also install the Mapmanager program. Look in your applications folder and confirm that Basecamp, MapInstall and MapManager are present. If not, install Basecamp again and that should fix the problem.

You can install from the App Store or directly from here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

ADKGuy

Thanks Boyd.  I did have Basecamp installed prior to the map download but there was no Map Installer or Manager.  So, I installed it and I'm good.

Boyd