GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Which garmin gps should I buy

Started by mastertdb, November 30, 2014, 07:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastertdb

I'm new to the handheld gps world. Which garmin handheld gps would be the one to get for a newbie. I am going to us it marking trails I ride on with my UTV. I want it to come with topi maps an be fairly easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited title

Boyd

It would help if you gave us a budget.... The Garmin Montana 600 has a nice, big bright screen but is rather expensive. You will also need to buy some kind of mount. It does not include any maps.

The Montana 600t includes Garmin's US Topo 100k map, but frankly it is not that good of a map. I suggest that you look through the maps on this site for starters and download any free maps that interest you. Follow the tutorials on the site to install Garmin Basecamp and the map on your computer, then see if you like it. If so, you can buy the Montana 600 and install the map.

Alternately, you can purchase one of Garmin's 24k topo maps for your region and install it on the GPS.

mastertdb

I would like to stay around $250 to $300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyd

Garmin operates an eBay store and sells the Oregon 450 for $200. This model is discontinued and no longer available new, however this is a factory refurbished device with the same warranty as new. I think it's the best bang for the buck on the market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Oregon-450-GPS-rugged-outdoor-handheld-compass-Worldwide-Refurbished-/251177277144?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item3a7b5516d8

The screen is smaller and dimmer than the Montana but it's arguably the most popular unit that Garmin ever made. I don't really think there is anything better for your application unless you spend over $300. But really, the Montana 600 would be much better, so maybe wait awhile and see if there's a sale that gets it closer to the $300 point?

Boyd

Just noticed GPSCity has the Montana 650 for $350. That's a very good price, it is usually closer to $500. I think this is part of a Cyber Monday promotion so the price may not last. It is unusual, because this model is normally more expensive than the Montana 600 - it has a built-in camera.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-650.html