GPSFileDepot.com

Loading map subsets from adjacent States into an eTrex Vista HCx

Started by Tony78, November 13, 2014, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony78

I live in SW Colo near UT.  I'm using an eTrex Vista HCx.  I would like to load topo maps from both SW CO and SE UT (cotopo2001 and uttopo2011) into the unit.  However, it appears that only maps from one State or the other will load.  If I try to put one set in first and then the second set, the second set deletes the first set before it installs.  When viewing the State maps, I cannot find a way to show both maps at the same time in order to select my desired map subsets.  Any ideas? Thanks

Boyd

This is covered in the tutorial here, but not immediately obvious. Assuming that you're using Mapsource, step 9 is the key. You need to select each map using the dropdown menu and map tool BEFORE sending anything to the GPS:

9. Repeat steps 2 through 7 for any other maps you want to load at the same time (such as a Topo map and City Navigator and another topo map).

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Note that maps from different authors on this site probably won't play well together. Typically there will be issues where the maps overlap. For example, there may be a blank area between the two maps. There are no standards for map boundaries, so they probably won't match unless they were specifically designed to do so. If you want seamless maps, you may need to purchase Garmin products unfortunately.

maps4gps

As Boyd mentioned, you need to select tiles/quads from all the mapsets you intend to send to that model GPSr and send them as a single gmapsupp.img file.  That model of GPSr only accepts a single gmapsupp.img file and will overwrite any such file on the GPSr.

I expect you are referring to my cotopo2011.  Any tile with data in both states is included in the data for each state.  You only need to select the tile from one state (if both are selected, only one was included in what was sent to the GPS - that was how it worked some years ago with my 76csx).  Since I use lon-lat boundaries for my quads(tiles) I have never had an issue with gaps nor overlaps.

Enjoy

Tony78

Thanks very much to both Boyd and Maps4GPS for the help.  It worked.  I was using BaseCamp as I thought it was the latest and greatest.  But MapSource did what I needed.  And Maps4GPS, you are right.  I meant to say cotopo2011.

Boyd

Glad that it worked. Actually you can do the exact same thing with Basecamp/Mapinstall. The concept is that you must select all portions of all desired mapsets BEFORE sending anything to the GPS.  :)