GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex 30, Did I Buy the Wrong Unit?

Started by c17rocky, April 13, 2014, 12:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c17rocky

A need I was hoping to meet with this GPS is to be able to input a bearing to follow from a way-point.  Example:  From an established property corner, I wish to follow a straight line route as recorded on an old survey to understand where this line falls on the ground.  The bearing of this line is 269d, 53'29".  Obviously using a GPS I don't expect survey grade accuracy but to be reasonably close.  Due to terrain and vegetation I've not been able to locate any further points on this line to establish another way-point.  Is it possible to input this bearing so my GPS can guide me along this line?  If not, is there another Garmin model that will give this capability?

Boyd

I don't have an eTrex 30, but all my other Garmin handhelds have a waypoint projection feature that should do what you want. IIRC, you are limited to 1 degree increments however which may not give you the accuracy you want.

Have a look at your user manual to see if your device can project waypoints.

c17rocky

Like you, because of owning other and older Garmins I was familiar with waypoint projection.  With the emphasis on a greater degree of precision by having the added GLONASS signal I expected more than I so far find this unit delivers.  However, for what it does it is a quality GPS with great screen resolution for the small size factor & easy to add maps from this site.  You mentioned the user manual, the onboard download manual, the same as online, is very sketchy, waypoint projection and many other menu functions are not mentioned.  Garmin let us down here!  Thanks for your reply.

Boyd

Garmin's manuals have been a big disappointment in recent years. A sharp contrast to the excellent hardcopy manuals they distributed with older devices like the 60csx.

However, I just did a quick Google search for "etrex 30 project waypoint" and the very first hit took me here, so the information is certainly available.  :)

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287463

QuoteGo to the Waypoint Manager and choose a waypoint. Then push Menu, and choose "Project Waypoint.". Before you do the projection, go to setup and choose magnetic or true, mils or degrees. You enter the bearing first, then the distance. You can then save this as new waypoint, name it, and goto it. So you need to convert your current position to a waypoint before you project from it. Or, save any POI to a waypoint if you want to project from it..

Seldom

You can also project a waypoint using Sight and Go on the Etrex 30.  Unfortunately, you are limited to the compass to set your bearing. Once you "Lock direction" you can either "Set Course" or "Project Waypoint".  Boyd's method would be better if you need to manually enter the bearing.  If you can sight something else on the line, Sight and Go, might work better.  Of course, if you are really into Meets and Bounds you should try to borrow a Trimble.