Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: Ontario Lakes  (Read 19244 times)

pbc1020

• View Profile
Ontario Lakes
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:46:14 PM »
I travel to Ontario twice a year and fish Lake Minnitaki and Savant Lake. My only experience with a hand held is an older etrex and would like to update but do not know what to get for maps for these lakes, also is a gps map 72 a good hand held for Canada fishing?

Greg A

• View Profile
Re: Ontario Lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »
i am looking for a detailed map (24k) of the Woosley Bay area near Crane's Lochaven Wilderness Lodge on French River.  I am contemplating getting a Garmin 62stc but i would like to determine if such a map exists before i buy the GPS unit.  Any ideas?    I posted it here on this Ontario topic since that's the general region, but perhaps this belongs in the custom maps area.  Thank you for any advice if such a map exists.

skeet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:28:23 AM »
I have a 60CS with Blue Charts and it shows that area.

Greg A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
do you think its detailed enough for fishing and hiking?  I would like to be able to mark fishing spots and also re-trace my path back to the dock!  ;)  for hiking we will probably stop at a shore and hike un-marked paths. I would use GPS (breadcrumbs) to find my way back to the boat.

skeet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:59:25 AM »
You will need to buy map software such as Mapsource Topo Canada for land and G2 Canada for marine coverage to get good detail.
There is a free download from GPS Depot called Ibycus Topo Canada I haven't used it but have heard it has better detail than Mapsource Topo Canada.
Check the Garmin site. I tried to post a link but this site doesn't allow that. :-[

Greg A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »
Thank you.  I'll try that and let you know.  Probably tomorrow or Sunday before I can get to it.

anything