News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Street names are appearing as dots

Started by murphle1965, May 12, 2009, 06:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphle1965

Hi -
Just downloaded the Wisconsin TOPO map (great btw), but I'm having difficulty with the street names appearing as dots. The first capital letter of each word is legible, but all the lower case letters are not. I loaded the map onto my GPSMap 60Csx with MapSource software.

If I hover the cursor over the streets, I can see what they are one by one, but it would be nice to actually see them instead of a bunch of dots. Any advice would be appreciated -
Thanks
Murph

maps4gps

I see that I have street names set to off (map page / menu / setup map / points / street label) on my GPSr - probably to avoid clutter, especially by including the address range and at one time alternate street/highway names/numbers.
There is an issue with how cap/small letters are handled.  Eighteen month ago, when I started creating maps, there was an issue with names in all caps - I see Oz's NM map is using all caps, so maybe it was an issue with cgpsmapper that has been fixed and I never realized it.
So much is a trade-off.
Thanks for your comment/concern, I will test all caps for the next version.

murphle1965

Yeah, I turned the declutter on and I'm fine with it. If I put the cursor over the street I get the name, so it works fine. Went to a cache today and it worked like a champ. Of course I'm too short to reach the cache but that's not the GPSr fault :D Thanks for the map - it's great!

Indrid Cold

What version of SW/FW do you have installed in your GPSMap 60Csx?

Perry

It's a 60 CSx "feature".   The 60CSx can not display lower case letters at an angle, so you get the L.... effect.  This is with version 3.90 software on the 60CSx, which I think is the latest.  The map author can fix it by using a LBLcoding=6 in the header of the original MP file, but I think that means all caps display on all Garmin GPSs. ::)

maps4gps

I see that the default for LBLcoding is 6; interesting that GlobalMapper outputs mp files with LBLcoding=9.  I will do some testing and keep this in mind for future updates.

Indrid Cold

Is this the same with POI's and other features or just the streets?