Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  


Author Topic: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource  (Read 3215 times)

pounder67

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 14
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:26 AM »
I got Mapsource from this sight and have been using it with my Oregon 450 for almost a year now.  It's been working great, until recently.  I tried to download some recent waypoints and tracks, but only the tracks download.  Even if I click on the box that says waypoints (on the recieve from device menu) I get a pop up box that says "The selected device has no waypoints on it".  I used this mapsource last year to download all my data from my old E Trex, and I downloaded data from my Oregon before, but now it's not working.    I can edit tracks on mapsource and send to device OK.  Is there a setting I'm missing here?

Boyd

  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 2834
  • Karma: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »
You're not missing anything. Mapsource is not fully compatible with the new models, like your Oregon 450. Garmin is now storing waypoints in a different format and Mapsource doesn't know how to find them. This has been discussed on Garmin's forums, and the software developers said they would love to make Mapsource compatible but realistically, they probably would never get around to it.

You must use Basecamp for full compatibility with your unit: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

pounder67

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 14
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
Thanks for the info, Boyd.  I'm downloading it now.  Hopefully it's as comprehensive as Mapsource.

Indrid Cold

  • Moderator
  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 851
  • Karma: 19
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the info, Boyd.  I'm downloading it now.  Hopefully it's as comprehensive as Mapsource.
It's much more comprehensive than MapSource. Take the time to learn it and it's hard to go back.

pounder67

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 14
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:01:03 AM »
So far it seems pretty similar.  I noticed a couple things with it, so far.  Basecamp freezes up once in a while.  It locks up and I have to restart my computer to get it working again.  Also, I lost some map resolution on my topography in my unit.  After I did some data editing in Basecamp, I sent the data to my device.  When I checked it in my GPS, I noticed I can't see the creeks and streams anymore.  The name of the creek is there, but no stream.  This is a problem because I am a trout fisherman.  The topo I have in my GPS is the "Northeast TOPO US part one of three".  In Base camp on my computer I can see the creek, but not on my GPS anymore...any thoughts?  (map setting are set to "highest")

maps4gps

  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1477
  • Karma: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:54:11 AM »
Unless Garmin has recently made a huge change, the data in a mapset can not be edited.
Likely some setting was changed on the GPSr itself; perhaps a profile.
What data editing did you do?

Boyd

  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 2834
  • Karma: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:21:08 AM »
Sounds like the profile bug on the Oregon. Check to make sure you're using the Recreational profile, if not, switch to it. If using it already, switch to another one and then switch back to Recreational.

Don't worry, this has nothing to do with Basecamp, like maps4gps said, you cannot change this data yourself.

pounder67

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 14
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 02:55:02 AM »
The data I changes was renaming some tracks, changing some waypoint symbols, and deleting some useless waypoints.  When I downloaded base camp, an update came in from Garmin to my GPS, maybe that did it.  But thanks, I went into profiles an it wasn't on Recreational.  I switched to it, and now it's back to normal.  Thanks for your help.  Something must have been switched during that update.

Boyd

  • Expert Advisor
  • *****
  • Posts: 2834
  • Karma: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting data from Oregon to Mapsource
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 06:02:48 AM »
Yes, I see odd things happen after updating firmware. Some people feel that you should do a full reset after each firmware upgrade, but that's kind of a pain because it will erase all your data.

Glad it's working now.